Learning China Town

The man, the band, and everything else

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, RACKSYSTEMS

motorhead
Just the numbers in order: 7

Re: Learning China Town

Post by motorhead » Fri Feb 10, 2012 11:07 am

i came up with 3 different sequences for the tapping. It is still not exactly what he is doing. I got the rythm and the timing of the tapping with the note but i am not getting it to sound exactly like it? 7 9 12 its in there.

motorhead

Post by motorhead » Fri Feb 10, 2012 12:18 pm

I came up with at least a half a dozen versions but cant get it sound exactly. I will feel dumb when I find out what he is actually doing.

T.J.Fuller
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Post by T.J.Fuller » Fri Feb 10, 2012 1:00 pm

motrock wrote:
T.J.Fuller wrote:When all else fails ...... amazing slow-downer.
How do I do that? Is there a program I can download that does that? I have always wanted to try that! I usually have to put on a cd and listen to it a thousand times to get the riff in my head. I know I know.. I have done it the hard way! LOL

A tune like ChinaTown can overwhelm the ears when trying to learn. Its so fast its hard to pick things out!
YES... amazing-slow downer will let you isolate sections of a song and slow it down to below 1/2 speed...if needed

but, until I can get you a link ...... use Windows Media Player, it has a half speed setting, it'll work good for China Town

now if we were talkin Yngwie Malsteen licks .... well then you better wait and use Amazing Slow-Downer :thumbsup:
"In search of World Class Tone"
Clips - http://www.soundclick.com/tjfuller" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.myspace.com/tjfullerproject" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

T.J.Fuller

Post by T.J.Fuller » Fri Feb 10, 2012 1:02 pm

http://www.ronimusic.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Clips - http://www.soundclick.com/tjfuller" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.myspace.com/tjfullerproject" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

motrock

Post by motrock » Fri Feb 10, 2012 1:09 pm

T.J.Fuller wrote:http://www.ronimusic.com/
Thanks man! I am glad it has it for mac. I have an iMac and I see that it also can slow down the format for iTunes. This is going to be cool!

vanhalen5150

Post by vanhalen5150 » Fri Feb 10, 2012 2:14 pm

I use "The amazing yawn suppressor" for Malmsteen licks.

:hide:
12000 Metro Kit

motrock

Post by motrock » Fri Feb 10, 2012 3:19 pm

vanhalen5150 wrote:I use "The amazing yawn suppressor" for Malmsteen licks.

LOL Thats great!

I am going to try to work in China Town this weekend. $50 for that Slower Downer program. I am going to get it, just because it will come in handy!

Rich_D

Post by Rich_D » Fri Feb 10, 2012 6:22 pm

I use Transcribe! to do the same thing and I love it.
Interpretation?! I thought I was playing it right!

T.J.Fuller

Post by T.J.Fuller » Fri Feb 10, 2012 6:49 pm

vanhalen5150 wrote:I use "The amazing yawn suppressor" for Malmsteen licks.

that was too funny, I to am a proud member of the Anti-Sweep-Picking-Alliance too ...

Did you guys ever think the day would arrive when we would be excited to transcibe some new VH again ???? ....awesome stuff...

wjamflan

Post by wjamflan » Fri Feb 10, 2012 7:19 pm

Kurt,

The tapping pattern at the beginning goes like this:

--------T--P--H-----T--P--H----------------------------
E------12---0---8----------------------------------------
B--------------------12---0---8--------------------------
G---------------------------------------------------------
D---------------------------------------------------------
A---------------------------------------------------------
E---------------------------------------------------------

It's played 10 times with the Boss OC-3 Super Octave providing the note one octave lower. Ed uses his index finger to tap the right hand notes and his ring finger to hammer the left hand notes (watch the video). He plays the pattern twice normally; once double-time; twice normally; then five times double-time.

After that, he brings his left hand ring finger up to the tenth fret to play this trill:

--------T--P-------T--P------T--P-------T--P------T--P-------T--P------T--P-----------
E------12---10---12---10---12---10---12---10---12---10---12---10---12---10-------
B-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
G-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
D-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
A-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
E-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hope that helps!

wjamflan

Post by wjamflan » Fri Feb 10, 2012 7:37 pm

Here is the intro slowed down to one fifth it's normal speed (20%): http://www.mediafire.com/?bbfur5my5afspt7

This was done using the Amazing Slow Downer that the others have been talking about. It really is essential. Good Luck.

motrock

Post by motrock » Fri Feb 10, 2012 10:19 pm

Thanks a lot man! I have the Amazing Slow Downer. I just got it. I think this program is going to be very valuable!

motorhead

Post by motorhead » Sat Feb 11, 2012 10:48 am

That s simple enough. I came up with crazy tapping licks trying to emulate that octave pedal, so all was not a wash.

wjamflan

Post by wjamflan » Sat Feb 11, 2012 6:43 pm

Don't know if anyone's interested, but this thread inspired me to finally learn how to play the As Is riff - my favorite from the album. Here's my take:

--------H---P------------P-------P--------H---P-----H-P---------H--SL----------------H---P------
E------------------|------------------------------------------|--------------------------------------|
B------------------|------------------------------------------|--------------------------------------|
G------------------|-----------------------------------------|----------------2---------------------|
D------------------|---------------------0---1---0----------|---0---1---2---2---------------------|
A-----0---3---0---|---5---0---3---0----------------3--0---|-------------------------0---3---0---|
E------------------|------------------------------------------|--------------------------------------|
-------D----------------D-------D-------D-----------------------D------------D-------D-------------
-------+---4---+-------1---+---2---+---3---+---4---+--a-------1---+---2---+---3---+---4---+----

-----------P-------P--------H--SL------------------SL-------------------H---P-----
E---|------------------------------------------|-------------------------------------|
B---|------------------------------------------|-------------------------------------|
G---|----------------------------------2------|----------------0--------------------|
D---|---------------------0---1---2----------|---2---1---0--(0)-------------------|
A---|---5---0---3---0------------------------|------------------------0---3---0---|
E---|------------------------------------------|-------------------------------------|
---------D-------D--------D-----------D----------U-------D---U-------D-------------
---------1---+---2---+---3---+---4---+----------1---+---2---+---3---+---4---+----

Enjoy!

PS - The song is in B flat and standard tuning on the album, while it's in A at Namm (standard tuning) and VH approved A with a bass A string on TAAHM. Don't know if he used a Steinberger, tuned up, or used a capo like we see Wolfie doing on China town, but just thought I'd mention it. It is smokin' and fun to play.....

evh100

Post by evh100 » Tue Feb 14, 2012 7:33 pm

Here's what I got for the short section right after the tapping...

B--------0-----0-----0-----0-----0-----0----------------
G--------2-----4-----5-----4-----0-----2--------4------
D--------------------------------------------------4------
A--------------------------------------------------2-----