new VH album - CD Vs LP?

The man, the band, and everything else

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, RACKSYSTEMS

master keeper

new VH album - CD Vs LP?

Post by master keeper » Sat Feb 18, 2012 3:51 am

anyone who's had the opportunity to hear both and compare them soundwise?

I'd really like to get my hands on an LP, but is it worth it at 50usd + shipping to europe?

Star*Guitar
Just the numbers in order: 7

Re: new VH album - CD Vs LP?

Post by Star*Guitar » Sat Feb 18, 2012 9:39 am

Of course it is if you are into warmth. It is a totally different experience. CD's just lose it. Period.
Star*Guitar

MrBeasty

Post by MrBeasty » Sat Feb 18, 2012 11:44 am

They have to sound different as they require different mastering procedures. The generalization is that the vinyl would have less compression and perhaps less bass ... but it really depends on how they mastered the recording.

FWIW - I am interested in the vinyl too.

T.L.

Post by T.L. » Sat Feb 18, 2012 2:37 pm

I grew up listening to vinyl, and it's an absolute myth that it sounds better than a CD. Vinyl is old technology and sounds like crap. There's nothing "quality" or high fidelity about scratches & pops...

supro48

Post by supro48 » Sat Feb 18, 2012 5:33 pm

Records have a truer frequency response and are more natural sounding due to being analog they also have a more open sound. CD's are just snapshots of the actual sound wave using ones and zeros to fill out the sound plus they are prone to harsh digital distortion and are more compressed and lose some warmth. Records have a natural harmonic distortion that makes them sound richer if it distorts kinda like a tube amp vs solid state. Of course this all goes out the window if it was recorded digitally. Early Van Halen albums of the roth era were all recorded to 2" tape making them warmer sounding. I have both versions af early Van Halen albums and nothing compares to hearing Eruption on vinly played through a hi fi system cranked it sounds earth shattering.

Star*Guitar

Post by Star*Guitar » Sat Feb 18, 2012 6:45 pm

supro48 wrote:Records have a truer frequency response and are more natural sounding due to being analog they also have a more open sound. CD's are just snapshots of the actual sound wave using ones and zeros to fill out the sound plus they are prone to harsh digital distortion and are more compressed and lose some warmth. Records have a natural harmonic distortion that makes them sound richer if it distorts kinda like a tube amp vs solid state. Of course this all goes out the window if it was recorded digitally. Early Van Halen albums of the roth era were all recorded to 2" tape making them warmer sounding. I have both versions af early Van Halen albums and nothing compares to hearing Eruption on vinly played through a hi fi system cranked it sounds earth shattering.
Ditto,

I should have made the point if it was recorded on tape or digitally. Looking at it from that prospective, it may not matter. I may have to buy the vinyl version of ADKOT just to see.
Star*Guitar

MrBeasty

Post by MrBeasty » Sun Feb 19, 2012 1:09 am

There is vinyl done badly and there is digital done badly too ... lately digital has been done worse and worse ... but the potential remains!

master keeper

Post by master keeper » Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:24 am

Star*Guitar wrote:Of course it is if you are into warmth. It is a totally different experience. CD's just lose it. Period.
well, I listen to LPs 99% of the time and love it. I have all the old VH albums on vinyl. Just curious if anyone here had heard the vinyl version yet and can confirm that it's worth the extra dough.

RACKDOCTOR

Post by RACKDOCTOR » Sun Feb 19, 2012 1:28 pm

T.L. wrote:I grew up listening to vinyl, and it's an absolute myth that it sounds better than a CD. Vinyl is old technology and sounds like crap. There's nothing "quality" or high fidelity about scratches & pops...
:what:

Possible reasons:

1. Your turntable is not set up properly. Example-Azimuth, tracking force.
2. Your albums have are very dirty and have not been cleaned properly. Example-a record cleaning machine.

Vinyl is the most organic and involving format to listen to music on. All my records are dead quiet.

T.L.

Post by T.L. » Sun Feb 19, 2012 1:52 pm

RACKDOCTOR wrote:
T.L. wrote:I grew up listening to vinyl, and it's an absolute myth that it sounds better than a CD. Vinyl is old technology and sounds like crap. There's nothing "quality" or high fidelity about scratches & pops...
:what:

Possible reasons:

1. Your turntable is not set up properly. Example-Azimuth, tracking force.
2. Your albums have are very dirty and have not been cleaned properly. Example-a record cleaning machine.

Vinyl is the most organic and involving format to listen to music on. All my records are dead quiet.
My turntable is high-end and definitely "set up properly".

Blaming CDs for harsh or poor sound quality is ignorant. The poor sound quality comes from over-compressing during the mastering process to make the recording "louder (Metallica's "Death Magnetic" is a perfect example), which results in a loss of dynamic range and an increase in perceived distortion. It's ridiculous that this is done, but it's ignorant to blame Digital, or CDs for any reduction in sound quality. CDs have 100db of dynamic range, and NO noise. There's simply nothing better than that (yet, anyway)...

dirtycooter

Post by dirtycooter » Sun Feb 19, 2012 2:55 pm

Analog is still my fave. But man c.d.s you can skip and play play play and never wear out. It is conveinient. No hiss and all that.
c.d.s are a compromise to me sonically, but i have accepted it.
What i hate is the same thing mentioned above as an example-death magnetic. There is shit on that that sounds like my speakers are distorting and gettin ready to take a shit. I thinks its the drum attack on the snare, everytime it hits i cringe.
can i ask just wtf were they thinkin????????? Stupid!!!
Sound engineers today need to really think about things. Some times something that can be aggressive can be relaxing to listen to, but i find some of the todays mixes and engineering to be agitating to my nervous system-irritating!
I think it mostly lays in the loudness war.

RACKDOCTOR

Post by RACKDOCTOR » Sun Feb 19, 2012 6:23 pm

If anyone is interested in a turntable that is quiet as a CD. This would be the one.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/WELL-TEMPERED-C ... 27c35073cd

MrBeasty

Post by MrBeasty » Tue Feb 21, 2012 12:16 am

I hear a nice improvement on DVD-A and SACDs ... sadely the idiotic average consumer prefered MP3 and both Higher-Res formats went bye-bye ... we can only hope that BluRay audio takes-off, but I am not holding my breath. :roll: :evil:

RACKDOCTOR

Post by RACKDOCTOR » Tue Feb 21, 2012 4:48 am

http://youtu.be/xs1aUws0Lrs" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;