Fair Warning Axe's

The man, the band, and everything else

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, RACKSYSTEMS

Tone Slinger

Re: Fair Warning Axe's

Post by Tone Slinger » Sat Jun 02, 2012 10:54 am

Ed had just scored (was just starting to make a little money) a couple of Les Pauls in '79, either on tour or just after. He used the '59 Paul live alot in 1980. I think he used it ('59) like rdodson has said, on alot of 'Fair Warning'. 'Dirty Movie's' was the Les Paul Junior that Ed cut on to get higher up the neck on for slide (the rhthms were very meaty, GIBSONY as well).

I'd say the solo in 'Push Comes To Shove' is the '59. It just has the right timbre. 'So This Is Love' also sounds like a Paul.

'Mean Street' , 'One Foot Out The Door', 'Hear About It Later' , 'Unchained' are a floyd strat, which HEAVILY implies the Franky. He may have used the mahogany strat and the bumble bee as well, but I think he prefered the Franky .
Rip Ben Wise (StuntDouble) & Mark Abrahamian (Rockstah)

Marshall SL12301
Just the numbers in order: 7

Post by Marshall SL12301 » Sun Jun 03, 2012 1:21 pm

mean streets is the 58 lp ,he also used this 58 LP on parts of the record, and a ES-335 on the "Push" solo
R.I.P Mark Abrahamian, You will be remembered!

FL6

Post by FL6 » Sun Jun 03, 2012 1:31 pm

You'd think he learned from the Destroyer indicent and stop cutting off parts of the guitar. :lol:

Rich_D

Post by Rich_D » Sun Jun 03, 2012 1:34 pm

Marshall SL12301 wrote:mean streets is the 58 lp ,he also used this 58 LP on parts of the record, and a ES-335 on the "Push" solo
For real? Man he can make that mahogany sound pissed off.
Interpretation?! I thought I was playing it right!

Sparky4444

Post by Sparky4444 » Sun Jun 03, 2012 4:21 pm

Rich_D wrote:
Marshall SL12301 wrote:mean streets is the 58 lp ,he also used this 58 LP on parts of the record, and a ES-335 on the "Push" solo
For real? Man he can make that mahogany sound pissed off.
Don't forget the maple cap...huge part of that sound...

joshevhfan

Post by joshevhfan » Sun Jun 03, 2012 4:56 pm

So now we need to talk fair warning pickups, non Frank
:)

Marshall SL12301

Post by Marshall SL12301 » Sun Jun 03, 2012 5:32 pm

joshevhfan wrote:So now we need to talk fair warning pickups, non Frank
not much to discuss his 58 ans 59 LP both have rewound PAF's that LPjr has a stock P-90 the ES-335 also probably has stock PAFs or maybe rewound ones, no mighty mites or dimarzio's on these 8)
R.I.P Mark Abrahamian, You will be remembered!

joshevhfan

Post by joshevhfan » Sun Jun 03, 2012 6:01 pm

Best tones ever on that album
Last edited by joshevhfan on Mon Jun 04, 2012 12:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tone Slinger

Post by Tone Slinger » Sun Jun 03, 2012 6:47 pm

Mean Street was a floyd strat (probably Franky). He used it in the intro (bar), as well as in a verse fill. The solo goes without saying. Did you mean to say 'Fair Warning' instead of Mean Street ?

In my experience a Gibson, ESPECIALLY a Les Paul, doesnt really need a high output hb'er to sound good, BUT, a strat with a floyd (or without) does need a hot pu.

There is alot of talk about Ed's rewound pafs (or even DSD's) being the 'JB' wind. I can get to that.

Also, through the right amp, like a wound up early spec superlead (bright/upper mid's) the Custom Custom seems to be real good, and is what Ed has been using for sometime now (or real close).

Ed seems to like a JB type pu or a 'CC' type pu.

dirtycooter

Post by dirtycooter » Sun Jun 03, 2012 10:25 pm

Marshall SL12301 wrote:
joshevhfan wrote:So now we need to talk fair warning pickups, non Frank
not much to discuss his 58 ans 59 LP both have rewound PAF's that LPjr has a stock P-90 the ES-335 also probably has stock PAFs or maybe rewound ones, no mighty mites or dimarzio's on these 8)
I think your proof of most of the pickup mystery lays right here

He has the 58, 59 pauls, the 58 V, so many clips have been done with the sd59 or dimarzio paf.

I really really don't think he bought those guitars and dicked with the pickups and had them rewound.
Theres a reason he sought those years of instruments and payed pretty good money. For the pickups. Obviously its not later gibby's from the 70's or 80's. So wth??? I think they are stock as hell. Totally bet on it. Plus the pickup in question on franky is a 63 es335's??? Toooooooo many PAFs i say. Why wouldn't he just get scratch built pickups and even bother buying exquisite paf examples???
I say hogwash.

fivecoyote

Post by fivecoyote » Mon Jun 04, 2012 12:05 am

Where is this and other such info coming from? I've never seen any interview say this nor pics. To me that tone is DSD fat, LP not needed but if it's there I'd love to see some conformation.

That LPJ photo is from the VH1 sessions, not FW. but Ed still has that guitar.
At it awhile, still learnin'

Get woodalicious tonology factoid learnin' at http://www.WOODYTONE.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;!

Sparky4444

Post by Sparky4444 » Mon Jun 04, 2012 12:20 am

fivecoyote wrote:
Where is this and other such info coming from? I've never seen any interview say this nor pics. To me that tone is DSD fat, LP not needed but if it's there I'd love to see some conformation.

That LPJ photo is from the VH1 sessions, not FW. but Ed still has that guitar.
...like I said, from an early interview, he elevated his appeal for the jr pretty emphatically...

..the live videos of So This Is Love and Unchained do not capture the album tone to me, IMHO..I mean, really getting down to the gnarly low-mids that just resonate on that album, I think its mostly Les Paul on there...I just can't see a humbucking Strat being that meaty..but then again, nothing surprises me with what Eddie is/was capable of doing

:stars:

fhn_lopes

Post by fhn_lopes » Mon Jun 04, 2012 12:50 pm

Rythim tones at mean street and unchained cannot be a floyd strat... not even a chance... even a solid body (like san dimas) in mahogany ... no way that fat tone coming from a floating bridge in ash body...

I say that bc the first time I've played a les paul trhough an EVH ish rig it sounded VERY close to that tones.... VERY close, with a bare knuckle black dog (PAF ish)... almost nailed really.... BTW, it was a voodoo modded JTM45 reissue (jose mod) with 74 balckbacks... killer :rock: :rock: :rock:
76' JMP 50w w/ 71' metro board
93' Fernandes SSS strat
93' Fender Japan HSS Strat
4x12 w/ 2x 25w rola creambacks /2x 25w m75 Scumbacks

hammered

Post by hammered » Mon Jun 04, 2012 1:09 pm

Tone Slinger wrote:Ed had just scored (was just starting to make a little money) a couple of Les Pauls in '79, either on tour or just after. He used the '59 Paul live alot in 1980. I think he used it ('59) like rdodson has said, on alot of 'Fair Warning'. 'Dirty Movie's' was the Les Paul Junior that Ed cut on to get higher up the neck on for slide (the rhthms were very meaty, GIBSONY as well) .
Live in 80 the only tune he used the Les Paul for was And the Cradle will rock , probably because that tune is in standard tuning(I think)

Tone Slinger

Post by Tone Slinger » Mon Jun 04, 2012 2:12 pm

There is a distinct tremelo bar lick during a rhythm section in 'Mean Street', it wasnt an overdub. Ed used his floyd Strat on that (Franky probably). Listen to the 'Nightmare before Halloween' soundcheck of 'Voodoo Queen' (early version of 'Mean Street') from '77. Big full and fat, probably MORE so than '81's 'Mean Street'. That was the pre floyd era Franky.