So can a Bugera 1960 do VH? YES!

The man, the band, and everything else

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, RACKSYSTEMS

julkke
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Re: So can a Bugera 1960 do VH?

Post by julkke » Mon Oct 22, 2012 12:21 pm

Tasty! Sounds like a Marshall :thumbsup:

Anyone know what type of PPIMV they used in this amp?

stef
Just the numbers in order: 7

Post by stef » Mon Oct 22, 2012 12:36 pm

very very nice! sounds better than marshall slp reissue clips and then some
listened again: it sounds more like a cascade 2203 than 1959, it's probably the master volume (ppimv), but I like it

guitar007

Post by guitar007 » Mon Oct 22, 2012 1:04 pm

I heard that they use something similar to Marshall's Randy Rhoads preamp.
~guitar007

julkke

Post by julkke » Mon Oct 22, 2012 1:10 pm

Yea its the one that is stock when plugged to bright input and cascaded when plugged to normal input, I believe blix used it in stock mode.

Dustin Plumb

Post by Dustin Plumb » Mon Oct 22, 2012 1:10 pm

Hello fellow players. My name is Dustin Plumb, I'm the US Product Manager for BUGERA.
Some here have raised concerns about our reliability. While our first edition 4 years ago had a problem with the transformer connector, this has long been fixed. In fact the new Infinium amps have lots of improvements which the ToneKing talks about and even come with a 3-Year Warranty Program. We also have our own Service Centers in Las Vegas and Kidderminster UK with all spare parts available. Guitar Center has just officially taken on the series and will officially launch them next month. In Europe, BUGERA is the No.1 selling Tube Amp line. Check out the ranking for yourself at http://www.thomann.de" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If you have any questions, feel free to drop me an email at PRODManaIAGLOB@music-group.com

Best regards,
Dustin PLUMB
Product Manager
BUGERA
http://www.bugera-amps.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Blix wrote:
fhn_lopes wrote:Guys, when it comes to Bugera, the last thing you should worry about is how they sound....

You will find problems with flexible connectors (just like PC motherboards), smd components, crapy pots, crapy pcb materials, tube sockets straight in the PCB.... I saw a couple of them MELT inside (not this model, but the 6262).

If you want a dirty cheap amp with GOOD construction and a nice mod platform for VH, try an old Peavey VTM or a Peavey Windsor... Those amps kick ass and they are CHEAP.
I'm well aware of Bugeras issues, but the new Infinium line is supposed to be better, I heard from a tech that had been inside them and construction was better than before. And I bought it from a store with excellent warranty and customer service, so I'm well covered.
It's just a fun experiment. At least the 1960 is the least likely to fail, being relatively simple. We'll see! :)

No VTM's or Windsors to be found here, at all unfortunately.

Blix

Post by Blix » Mon Oct 22, 2012 2:40 pm

Stock mode indeed. It's got the RR mod when you plug into the lower inputs.

No idea which type of PPIMV. It doesn't take the volume down to zero though, still quite a bit of volume with it at 1.

And yes it sure sounds like a Marshall. :) It will be interesting to hear how it takes different tubes.

Took a quick peek inside. No SMD components in the amp circuit, only on the small board with the Infinium bias control stuff.
Pics tomorrow. Doesn't look too sturdy though, but that was expected. :)

Now as a first impression I'm quite happy, it's got some of that "squishy" Marshall crunch I hoped for.

fhn_lopes

Post by fhn_lopes » Mon Oct 22, 2012 3:20 pm

Well, sounded way better than I expected, I think it was a good call Blix!!

Their website says "enormous output transformer" a hundred times, is it that big indeed?

It sure sounds like a marshall, and for the price, has plenty of features... looking foward to hear the cascaded input!
How the dynamics feel? does it clean well with the pot?
It has more gain than a 59 IMO and abit more tight and dark, but very cool!
76' JMP 50w w/ 71' metro board
93' Fernandes SSS strat
93' Fender Japan HSS Strat
4x12 w/ 2x 25w rola creambacks /2x 25w m75 Scumbacks

Blix

Post by Blix » Mon Oct 22, 2012 3:49 pm

fhn_lopes wrote:Well, sounded way better than I expected, I think it was a good call Blix!!

Their website says "enormous output transformer" a hundred times, is it that big indeed?

It sure sounds like a marshall, and for the price, has plenty of features... looking foward to hear the cascaded input!
How the dynamics feel? does it clean well with the pot?
It has more gain than a 59 IMO and abit more tight and dark, but very cool!

Yeah the OT is huge indeed. I'll snap some photos tomorrow.

It cleans up very well, just like it should, I'll see if I can make a few more clips. With cascaded as well. :)

fivecoyote

Post by fivecoyote » Mon Oct 22, 2012 4:01 pm

Wow that sounds pretty darn good!
At it awhile, still learnin'

Get woodalicious tonology factoid learnin' at http://www.WOODYTONE.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;!

Blix

Post by Blix » Tue Oct 23, 2012 12:31 am

Thank you. :)
For the record, mic is Sennheiser e906, no eq applied. A little delay and reverb added in post.

fhn_lopes

Post by fhn_lopes » Tue Oct 23, 2012 7:49 am

Well, those amps can be found resaonably cheap in Brazil, like 1000usd (yes, that is our CHEAP :bang: )... But I would only get an amp like this here, if I was going to bring one from US I'd rather the Peavey VTM or something...But indeed sounded VERY nice, looking foward for the cascaded clips... maybe I change my mind :thumbsup:

Blix, does it have those plastic connectors or all the wires from the transformers and power supply are soldered to the board? Those connectors were a commom failure for all early bugera amps, but I was told that those new INFINIUM amps had that issue corrected...
93' Fernandes SSS strat

Blix

Post by Blix » Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:54 am

Woa, Brazilian prices sure sucks :shock:

The wires from the output transformers are soldered directly to the board, those from the OT aren't.
No issues so far, have logged a 4-5 hours already at loud volumes. :)

The rats nest of red and black wires are for the Infinium bias stuff.
The PCB's are thick and sits well secured, but this isn't an amp amp I'd risk taking out on the road.
But for messing around at home I'm sure it'll last a little while. :)

Threw together a kittle clip in Garageband using the cascaded input. Starting clean and rolling up my volume knob after a while. Sounds great!

http://soundcloud.com/amund-blix/bugera-cascade-cleanup" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

julkke

Post by julkke » Tue Oct 23, 2012 12:01 pm

Sounds awesome!!!! Really nice brown tones available so cheap :drool: The pcbs look pretty nice but its hard to tell about the ppimv type..

fhn_lopes

Post by fhn_lopes » Tue Oct 23, 2012 12:17 pm

Sounds really good!

Why you think it's not an amp to put ond the road? There are still plastic connectors, but I can't see much problem where they are used now... What do you think it is more likely to fail?

I liked the overall layout, short cables and thick wire, thick PCB, no biggie to me.... just one thing, are the sockets mounted straight to the board? Not that I found this an immediately issue, but in middle to long term can be harmfull... If I could trade some of my old gear on this head I would now after those clips... REally good tone indeed!
93' Fernandes SSS strat

Blix

Post by Blix » Tue Oct 23, 2012 1:22 pm

We'll see how it holds up, some of the internal connectors seems a bit fragile, but yeah, the pcb and wires looks all right.
Kinda blown away how good it sounds. I was expecting something Marshallish of course, but that it would have such nice brown tone in it was a great bonus! :)

Sounds sweet with a strat as well.

http://soundcloud.com/amund-blix/bugera-1960-strat" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;