Post by JimiJames » Mon May 25, 2015 9:02 am

RIP Mark Abrahamian-rockstah -classmate/roommate
RIP Ben Wise -StuntDouble- comrade-in-arms

chrisom
Just the numbers in order: 7

Re: Ed's Franky (beneath the paint)

Post by chrisom » Mon May 25, 2015 9:23 am

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=mVmFlzksMCE
Somebody..... tried to use that video as proof that MIM Standards and Custom Shop Masterbuilt guitars are the same exact thing minus price tag. That guy is mostly wrong. Sure, some things are indeed overpriced, but there's A LOT he doesn't take into account.
GilmourD I agree with you mostly, but the point I took away from the video was that with vintage guitar measurements now embedded into Asian computer-controlled CNC vertical milling machines, the main price-point savings is in cost of labor, time spent (or NOT spent) finish-sanding, fret de-burring, cheap hardware/electronics, etc.

You can pick up a used alder-body Squier SE Strat today for $60, do a bit of the fret-leveling yourself, throw on a Fender Mexican 'RI'-style tremolo bridge, Gotoh 'Kluson' tuners, and a $10 decal from eBay w/ some vintage amber from StewMac and have a killer-playing pseudo-'65 Strat with a 9.5" radius and jumbo frets. That's $160 instead of $1,600 for a USA Hot Rod Reissue. Of course the Hot Rod RI is a WAY better machine, but if you don't have the cash, the China 'Strat' goes a LONG way towards playable satisfaction...

I have (6) agathis Starcasters and (4) alder SE Squiers done up like '68, '65 and '62 Strats and they are loads of fun for the $50-$60 each that I paid for them on CraigsList or at pawn shops. I always leave the original serial #'s and 'Made in China' on the backs of the headstocks, and people freak out when they see how cool they look and play. They are at the very least, beautiful 3-D playable wall-hanger artwork... :D

I bought a USA Les Paul Classic at Musician's Friend years ago, but money was tight, and I ended up selling it when I noticed my Japan Fender Contemporary Telecaster w/ humbuckers played and sounded 90% as good as the Les Paul. The Paul wasn't bad, but the import was really nice (better than the China stuff). I guess my point is entry-level guitars have come a long way. I wish I had access to the stuff out there today back when I was a kid starting out to play guitar... :thumbsup: :peace: :rockon:
Last edited by chrisom on Mon May 25, 2015 9:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

GilmourD
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Post by GilmourD » Mon May 25, 2015 9:35 am

chrisom wrote:
Somebody..... tried to use that video as proof that MIM Standards and Custom Shop Masterbuilt guitars are the same exact thing minus price tag. That guy is mostly wrong. Sure, some things are indeed overpriced, but there's A LOT he doesn't take into account.
GilmourD I agree with you mostly, but the point I took away from the video was that with vintage guitar measurements now embedded into Asian computer-controlled CNC vertical milling machines, the main price-point savings is in cost of labor, time spent (or NOT spent) finish-sanding, fret de-burring, cheap hardware/electronics, etc.

You can pick up a used alder-body Squier SE Strat today for $60, do a bit of the fret-leveling yourself, throw on a Fender Mexican 'RI'-style tremolo bridge, Gotoh 'Kluson' tuners, and a $10 decal from eBay w/ some vintage amber from StewMac and have a killer-playing pseudo-'65 Strat with a 9.5" radius and jumbo frets. That's $160 instead of $1,600 for a USA Hot Rod Reissue. Of course the Hot Rod RI is a WAY better machine, but if you don't have the cash, the China 'Strat' goes a LONG way towards playable satisfaction...

I have (6) agathis Starcasters and (4) alder SE Squiers done up like '68, '65 and '62 Strats and they are loads of fun for the $50-$60 each that I paid for them. I always leave the original serial #'s and 'Made in China' on the backs of the headstocks, and people freak out when they see how cool they look and play...

I bought a USA Les Paul Classic at Musician's Friend years ago, but money was tight, and I ended up selling it when I noticed my Japan Fender Contemporary Telecaster w/ humbuckers played and sounded 90% as good as the Les Paul. The Paul wasn't bad, but the import was really nice (better than the China stuff). I guess my point is I wish I had access to the stuff out there today back when I was a kid starting out to play guitar... :thumbsup: :peace: :rockon:
Oh, I do agree you don't need to pay Custom Shop prices for what you want, but Squier SE Strats are certainly not where I would start. If I went Squier, I'd at least go Classic Vibe or Vintage Modified series. Mexico is churning out some good stuff.

What I seem to have ended up doing is getting AllParts necks and Warmoth bodies and find myself quite happy.

This is a Mighty Mite MM2902FCR neck on an AllParts body with a thin German Floyd.

I have a bunch of others that I've built. It really depends on exactly what you want. The big factor is usually the neck in how it's shaped and the quality of the finish. I like Tung Oil and BC TruOil finishes myself. I think my Customwoods 5150 neck on my Franky is lemon oil.

I don't care what's on the headstock.

That said, I would never knock a true custom guitar. I've played some outrageously amazing Fender Custom Shop pieces (having worked for Guitar Center at one point I got my hands on a bunch of stuff). Doug Kauer does amazing things with wood. Mark McFeely makes some gorgeous instruments. And D'Avanzo makes a gorgeous Tele/Wolfgang hybrid shape and likes Floyds, so I think a lot of people here would love a guitar from him.

chrisom

Post by chrisom » Mon May 25, 2015 9:38 am

Nice pics! :thumbsup: :rock:
Oh, I do agree you don't need to pay Custom Shop prices for what you want, but Squier SE Strats are certainly not where I would start. If I went Squier, I'd at least go Classic Vibe or Vintage Modified series. Mexico is churning out some good stuff.
I have several Classic 'Vibe Strats and a CV Tele. Those are good guitars. I like the alnico 3 pickups. :listen:

GilmourD

Post by GilmourD » Mon May 25, 2015 9:48 am

chrisom wrote:Nice pics! :thumbsup: :rock:
I have several Classic 'Vibe Strats and a CV Tele. Those are good guitars. I like the alnico 3 pickups. :listen:
FYI, if you want more of those pickups, they're relabeled ToneRiders. :rocker:

hammered

Post by hammered » Mon May 25, 2015 10:59 am

GilmourD wrote:That said, I would never knock a true custom guitar. I've played some outrageously amazing Fender Custom Shop pieces (having worked for Guitar Center at one point I got my hands on a bunch of stuff). Doug Kauer does amazing things with wood. Mark McFeely makes some gorgeous instruments. And D'Avanzo makes a gorgeous Tele/Wolfgang hybrid shape and likes Floyds, so I think a lot of people here would love a guitar from him.
I`ve got 2 custom guitars that Mike D`Avanzo built in 2006 and they are top of the line quality. I`d put his work up against any work a custom shop could do and he`s affordable not to mention a great guy

GilmourD

Post by GilmourD » Mon May 25, 2015 11:11 am

hammered wrote:
GilmourD wrote:That said, I would never knock a true custom guitar. I've played some outrageously amazing Fender Custom Shop pieces (having worked for Guitar Center at one point I got my hands on a bunch of stuff). Doug Kauer does amazing things with wood. Mark McFeely makes some gorgeous instruments. And D'Avanzo makes a gorgeous Tele/Wolfgang hybrid shape and likes Floyds, so I think a lot of people here would love a guitar from him.
I`ve got 2 custom guitars that Mike D`Avanzo built in 2006 and they are top of the line quality. I`d put his work up against any work a custom shop could do and he`s affordable not to mention a great guy
Yeah, he's definitely affordable. I just don't even have that much. LOL I'd love to get one of his JD bodied guitars with a Floyd in Ash with a maple board.

chrisom

Post by chrisom » Tue May 26, 2015 12:14 am

Image Image

wjamflan

Post by wjamflan » Mon Jul 27, 2015 12:53 pm

Resurrecting an old thread in case anyone is still interested.....

I just came across a pic that, if dated correctly, is just a couple of weeks before VH I was recorded. I've never seen it before, so I apologize if it's already been talked about, but I thought some here might find it important. FWIW, the date is perfectly logical with everything we know about VH boots.

Franky is definitely painted, while the Destroyer still looks white. Also, it's hard to tell, but Franky looks to me to have one knob. Or is it two? Check it out.

rgorke

Post by rgorke » Mon Jul 27, 2015 8:52 pm

Wow, great pics Bill, where'd you dig those boys up? They look to be around the same time frame as the pics I have from the Whiskey.
"If you make a mistake, do it twice and smile and let people think you meant it." Jan Van Halen.

wjamflan

Post by wjamflan » Mon Jul 27, 2015 9:44 pm

A guy at VHT posted the first in a Magic Mountain thread. The second is just me using Photoshop to blow up the guitar in the first to see if we can tell about the knob situation.

BTW, what the hell is Dave playing????

Tazin

Post by Tazin » Tue Jul 28, 2015 10:40 am

To me it looks like Franky has two knobs. The other pictures floating around the web from September '77 also show two knobs on Franky.

rgorke

Post by rgorke » Tue Jul 28, 2015 12:07 pm

wjamflan wrote:A guy at VHT posted the first in a Magic Mountain thread. The second is just me using Photoshop to blow up the guitar in the first to see if we can tell about the knob situation.

FUnny, I was looking at that too...almost looks like the snake guitar...
"If you make a mistake, do it twice and smile and let people think you meant it." Jan Van Halen.

Tazin

Post by Tazin » Tue Jul 28, 2015 12:57 pm

wjamflan wrote:A guy at VHT posted the first in a Magic Mountain thread. The second is just me using Photoshop to blow up the guitar in the first to see if we can tell about the knob situation.

I think it's a round back (or slim body) electro acoustic guitar. I believe there is a picture of it over at vhnd.

Tone Slinger

Post by Tone Slinger » Thu Jul 30, 2015 10:46 am

Thanks for posting this Bill, great find :thumbsup:

Its really an anomolly (Ed's Franky). I'm having a hard time getting used to playing anything else other than my KNE Azusa Franky clone. The countours and the way the neck sits up just a hair higher in the neck pocket are preferable for me, as compared to a fender strat.
Rip Ben Wise (StuntDouble) & Mark Abrahamian (Rockstah)