CORRECT REFERANCE FOR BROWN SOUND

The man, the band, and everything else

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, RACKSYSTEMS

STEINBERGER
Just the numbers in order: 13492

CORRECT REFERANCE FOR BROWN SOUND

Post by STEINBERGER » Sat Oct 10, 2015 8:19 am

Notice when listening to vh albums from different you tube clips, Eds sound is for the same song differs from one you tube clip to the next. In fact iso clips are great for learning eds licks but tone sound is different from cd. So do your self a favour if your trying to copy his tone make sure your using the cd through good monitors as a reference. And even then the sound on the cd album is the sound created by the the recording process and equipment, so your not hearing what Eds amp sounds like in the room standing in front of the cab.
So if you record your gear and it sounds close to Mr Eds (no not the talking horse), then your close. Close is good enough considering even vh/ templeman/landee eds sound differenr from song to song or albulm

Leotis
Just the numbers in order: 7

Re: CORRECT REFERANCE FOR BROWN SOUND

Post by Leotis » Sun Oct 11, 2015 11:39 am

No.

Santino

Post by Santino » Sat Oct 17, 2015 10:45 am

I have to disagree. Isolated tracks let you hear his tone better. There's no bass, drums, or vocals coloring the sound. Which is what people try to copy. His heavily eq'd studio tone. Yes YT clips vary in quality. Even bad ones still give a sense of his tone.

If you listen to his gain amount and type it's the same on VH I as it is on Hot For Teacher.

I keep trying to tell people there's a lot more gain and treble in his classic tone than people think. Only thing magic about his sound is studio magic.

Star*Guitar

Post by Star*Guitar » Sat Oct 17, 2015 7:10 pm

Santino wrote:Only thing magic about his sound is studio magic.
Really? Where is the studio magic here?

Star*Guitar

mightymike

Post by mightymike » Sat Oct 17, 2015 9:09 pm

Star*Guitar wrote:

I couldn't agree more with Star Guitar, and I will go even farther to say if the tone is right, even a shitty camara phone will capture it.

Think of all the horror stories of people who have bought amps based on super polished and quadruple tracked online clips, only to find it sounds not even close at home.

I would actually trust the shitty camera phone clip more.

Its Luke

Post by Its Luke » Sat Oct 17, 2015 9:59 pm

Star and Mighty Mike make great points. I am new around here but have seen and heard some great clips of several members achieving great brown sound tone. With the right recipe of gear, practice and attitude in your playing you can get to where you want to be. That is inspiring to me, Happy tone hunting! :toast:

jnew

Post by jnew » Sun Oct 18, 2015 9:21 am

Santino wrote:I have to disagree. Isolated tracks let you hear his tone better. There's no bass, drums, or vocals coloring the sound. Which is what people try to copy. His heavily eq'd studio tone. Yes YT clips vary in quality. Even bad ones still give a sense of his tone.

If you listen to his gain amount and type it's the same on VH I as it is on Hot For Teacher.

I keep trying to tell people there's a lot more gain and treble in his classic tone than people think. Only thing magic about his sound is studio magic.

Yes and no. VH I has different gains structures from song to song if you're really listening.

You've heard early VH boots, right? You've heard Beat it which was produced by Quincy Jones? No Templeman or Landee magic although Ed might have had a lot of say. You've heard Letterman show clips right? Need we go on? The magic is more so, how he ran his amp coupled with his playing. But yes, early VH was produced uniquely. 8)

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default ... ID=1214336" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

EJSLPlexi

Post by EJSLPlexi » Mon Oct 19, 2015 9:49 am

Santino wrote: Only thing magic about his sound is studio magic.
I cannot agree with this. I do admit the studio played a part in the tone BUT eddie still had a great live tone
back in early 78 when he was still using his No 1 marshall

Strat78

Post by Strat78 » Tue Oct 20, 2015 10:00 am

Sneaky little Edses/templemanses/landeeses! Wicked, tricksy, false!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bMDHwYTeZd0
Oh, wait, it's the same tone coming through Al's drum mics! :whistle:

rgorke

Post by rgorke » Tue Oct 20, 2015 1:28 pm

Star*Guitar wrote:

Is that Ed playing the new My Little Pony Art Guitar?
"If you make a mistake, do it twice and smile and let people think you meant it." Jan Van Halen.

Strat78

Post by Strat78 » Tue Oct 20, 2015 1:58 pm

Enduring the wrath of the internet is preferable to my little one's furry! If the stickers stay on, all will be well in Equestria.

Santino

Post by Santino » Tue Oct 20, 2015 6:48 pm

jnew wrote:
Santino wrote:I have to disagree. Isolated tracks let you hear his tone better. There's no bass, drums, or vocals coloring the sound. Which is what people try to copy. His heavily eq'd studio tone. Yes YT clips vary in quality. Even bad ones still give a sense of his tone.

Yes and no. VH I has different gains structures from song to song if you're really listening.

You've heard early VH boots, right? You've heard Beat it which was produced by Quincy Jones? No Templeman or Landee magic although Ed might have had a lot of say. You've heard Letterman show clips right? Need we go on? The magic is more so, how he ran his amp coupled with his playing. But yes, early VH was produced uniquely. 8)
There's certainly different amounts of gain on VH I. That's a whole other topic.

So the drum mic bleed. Is that an iso track? :D

I neglected to say some people are fooled when listening to VH I and trying to copy the guitar tone. Some. Reverb alone colors the tone. It's like AC/DC. People try to copy them and use too much gain. Oops, did it again. Some people. Same with Ed. Some think a stock 800 is VH I. There's plenty of people here that get great tones. VH and others as well. Then there's some people you just can't help.

I was thinking about this yesterday. Ed's recent remarks that he was disappointed with how VH I come out. He thought they would sound like Zep. First they always sound like VH. 2004(say what you will) I walked out of the show and jumped in my car. Radio was playing a VH I block. I was suprised at how much as a three piece it was obviously the same three guys. Anyway, here's an edgy rock band and the guy from the Dooby Bros is in charge of making them sound good. He polished them up as much as he could. As was his way. He used a lot of reverb to make things sound fuller, rounder, warmer. I've got no complaints. But would there have been a difference if say a guy like Mike Clink produced VH I using the same techniques he used for GNR on Appetite? I don't know. Maybe.

Strat78

Post by Strat78 » Tue Oct 20, 2015 10:36 pm

Hot For Teacher does not sound like Ed's 12301. Kind of sounds like 10" speakers too. :scratch:

Megaro

Post by Megaro » Wed Oct 21, 2015 8:19 am

To confuse the term Brown Sound even a bit more, Eddie said that he used two Music Man combo amps on one song on the 1984 album:

In the latest edition of Ask Eddie, our feature that allows fans to submit a question to Eddie Van Halen himself, Todd Fields of Georgia wrote in wondering about the amps used for the rhythm tracks on Van Halen’s 1984 single, “Top Jimmy.”

We’ll let Fields take it away…

Fields: Eddie, I would love to know what amps you used on “Top Jimmy” for the Ripley rhythm tracks? That rhythm tone is one of my favorites! Thanks much!

Todd Fields

Van Halen: Hi Todd, thank you for your question.

The amps I used for the rhythm tracks on “Top Jimmy” were two, small 1×12 Music Man Combo Amps. I don’t know the exact model number offhand, but they were about 30-watt amps. The reason I needed two amps is because the Ripley guitars are stereo guitars.

I’m glad you like the tone. I thought it was an interesting sound because it’s sort of in-between a single coil Strat-type sound and a Humbucker sound. I also modified the amps by putting a 25-watt green back Celestion in each amp.

I used the same amps – except only one – with a Strat, for the whole track of “Finish What You Started.”

I hope that answers your question Todd.

All the best,
Eddie VH

jnew

Post by jnew » Wed Oct 21, 2015 1:11 pm

This is the first I've heard of Ask Eddie. Gonna look into this. Really makes me wonder.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default ... ID=1214336" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;