CORRECT REFERANCE FOR BROWN SOUND

The man, the band, and everything else

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, RACKSYSTEMS

jnew
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Re: CORRECT REFERANCE FOR BROWN SOUND

Post by jnew » Thu Dec 17, 2015 10:16 am

Certainly a possibility but even the volume rolled back on the guitar will change the gain structure as we hear it.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default ... ID=1214336" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Leotis
Just the numbers in order: 7

Post by Leotis » Thu Dec 24, 2015 2:33 am

STEINBERGER wrote:Gentlemen! Gentlemen!

And that guy who posted with one word (Leontis or whatever he calls himself) and said.........No. What i liked about your post was its conciseness and full mastery of the queens English vocabulary. But do not worry,just joking around, i still like you.
I surmised that my point was best served by dispensing with unnecessary verbosity and long-windedness and instead cutting straight to the crux of my intended retort. In short- "no." :mrgreen:

STEINBERGER

Post by STEINBERGER » Thu Dec 24, 2015 7:22 pm

Hello Orson Leotis Welles. Are you related to Shakespeare? Hoping to get a simple answer like...........Yes.
Merry Christmas.

rgorke

Post by rgorke » Fri Dec 25, 2015 4:49 pm

jnew wrote:There are two key factors with a two stage plexi circuit, in boosting with the old MXR and addressing the noise. One is the Echoplex pre-amp, as there are high and low band pass filters in the original circuit that mitigate the S/N ratio issue. (Actually, it's the low pass filter that addresses the noise). And second, running the amp on a variac is a big reducer. It is my opinion that this is the basis of Ed's club setup which found its way to the early albums.
This is absolutely right. I was there. I have kept it a secret for a long time. When I was 11, my dad (his friends call him Donny) took me to work one day. He said there was this "boy band" that he was recording. I went in and helped the guitar player put his gadgets together because he obviously didn't know what he was doing.

The guitar, into the blue box, into the square round and round repeater thingy (because is makes the blue box sound more better) into the guitar "louder maker" box plugged into the dial knobby thing and into the wall for juice. I had to make it simple for him because he didn't know what to do and didn't sound none too good. After that the band was ok.

That's how it happened, "the day I went to work with dad".
"If you make a mistake, do it twice and smile and let people think you meant it." Jan Van Halen.

jnew

Post by jnew » Fri Dec 25, 2015 4:56 pm

Where is that from?

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default ... ID=1214336" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

STEINBERGER

Post by STEINBERGER » Sun Dec 27, 2015 8:42 pm

Just noticed what ralle said in another post.
He said............
"also, I don't know what your ultimate refence is, but whatever it is, is it vinyl? CD or compressed mp3. I use vinyl as reference and it's alot different than
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ODKt0d44jZk so we need to also keep in mind what 'eddie' tones we are referencing.

Right on dude! thats what im talkin about.

matttornado

Post by matttornado » Mon Dec 28, 2015 11:19 am

I wouldn't be surprised that if we all were standing in the room with Ed while he was recording VH1, we would be disappointed that the tone was not so special. :whistle:

Tone Slinger

Post by Tone Slinger » Tue Dec 29, 2015 7:14 pm

I agree. The 'Produced' tone is what most of the rage was/is all about imo. Even the bootlegs of them from that era sounded great, again, due to the way they were recorded (tape/analog, etc, etc).
Rip Ben Wise (StuntDouble) & Mark Abrahamian (Rockstah)

Leotis
Just the numbers in order: 7

Post by Leotis » Wed Dec 30, 2015 11:27 pm

I remember being disappointed the first time I heard a VH bootleg from the early years that Ed's guitar sounded nothing like the album. It didn't sound "bad"....it just didn't have THAT sound.

matttornado

Post by matttornado » Thu Dec 31, 2015 9:23 am

Just think. If anyone else would have recorded & produced the records, than maybe Eddie never would have had that sound and been famous for the brown sound. It would have just been a typical cranked Marshall sound like everyone else was getting.

matttornado

Post by matttornado » Thu Dec 31, 2015 9:26 am

Don & Ted could have given any guitarist with a cranked Marshall that sound I bet! :scratch: