Eventide H9 Van Halen style Harmonizer settings

The man, the band, and everything else

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, RACKSYSTEMS

garbeaj
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Eventide H9 Van Halen style Harmonizer settings

Post by garbeaj » Wed Nov 25, 2015 12:28 pm

Is there anyone out there that has experimented with the Eventide H9 for specific settings on specific songs? Pitchfactor users should be dealing with the same settings as far as I know, so it would be great to hear from them too.

I've got an H9 Core and I've been toying around with the Van Halen style factory pre-sets...I know everyone says you really need to go wet-dry-wet in order to get the best sound, but I'm concentrating on mono for now. I have 3 amps and I can try the W/D/W or even the Wet/Dry two amp setup, but I've been going mono and backing off the mix control in order to bring the core dry guitar sound to the fore...it works a little bit, but I need to experiment more.

Anyway, it would be great to share specific settings for specific songs if anyone has an H9 or a Pitchfactor. Thanks in advance!

Megaro

Re: Eventide H9 Van Halen style Harmonizer settings

Post by Megaro » Wed Nov 25, 2015 1:20 pm

The Eventide is Ed's Kryptonite. But yeah, I love them too.

Where is dirtycooter when he is needed ? I don't have a specific setting for mono. I have always done the pitch up and pitch down. If I recall correctly, dirtycooter was always saying that Ed used the Eventide for a detune chorus without modulation. My thought would be to use the 910/949 setting, detune one channel by about 5 cents, leave the other one on no pitch change, and then play around with the mix until it sounds right. I have never been able to get my Pitchfactor to sound right.

I used to have 3 Eventide H910s at various points in time. There was a brief period of time where I had 2 running. I did the original dual H910 things. Man it was awesome, but really weird. It would really suck tone and just a little in the mix was more than enough. They were constantly being knocked out of tune by a cent or two. I never did notice the infamous tone glitches when the shift was only a few cents up or down.

I have always assumed Ed used the H910 back in the Roth days to do either a dual pitch shift or some octave stuff, like the outro to Unchained. But the closest I got to the Drop Dead Legs thing is when I mixed in one Eventide H910 with no detune and a little delay. That machine had so much character, that it was a very prominent effect even when it was set to no detune and was mixed in with a mixer. No way to use it inline like the 3 series and higher Eventides, because it was 100% wet. Maybe the 969 had a mix function ?

The other thing you might think about is getting one of those old Rockman stereo chorus devices. I think it does a pretty good poor man's H910. You could easily run that in mono.

Sorry, wish I could be more help. They are fun little units. The new units are actually reliable and can be mixed in without a lot of work, but they do not have the trademark Eventide whine of a 910 or even a 949. I guess they get close. The pitchfactor is one of those pedals I really want to use, but it keeps getting thrown back in the closet after I fool around with it for awhile.

garbeaj

Post by garbeaj » Wed Nov 25, 2015 6:09 pm

I've been having a little success with the H9 in mono. Once I started pulling the Harmonizer and delay back by using the mix control it got a lot more bearable.

dirtycooter did have quite a bit of experience with the Harmonizer, but he, like others I've conversed with online, generally goes the full Monty with the W/D/W, power amp and mixer. I know the full power of a Harmonizer can't be realized unless you go at least W/D or preferably W/D/W, so I definitely will take a chance and experiment with my 3 amps at some point.

I really hope to get some H9 users to chime in with specific settings. And I'd like to get what everyone is using for specific songs...too often I see people with one setting for all Van Halen and it must vary from song to sing. I'm still learning to navigate it and it is pretty difficult for a guy like me that has almost always gone straight from the guitar to one amp.

topsportsmanta1

Post by topsportsmanta1 » Wed Nov 25, 2015 7:38 pm

hey buddy i have the pitchfactor i run the 910 and 949 and i have my pitch setting set at modern
i run it at A - 0.997 and B at + 1.003 so 3 cents below on a and 3 cent above on b
delay at 3 milliseconds on delay A and on B 6 milliseconds
but i run mine in a wdw set up
rockstah dry thru a old marshall 4x12 with old pre rolas out of that thru a bray lo1 to a evh stealth head out to too evh stealth 4x12 cabinets
for older vh i run mine on the micro pitch setting with very similar settings
hope this gets you some were buddy ,mike
mike

garbeaj

Post by garbeaj » Wed Nov 25, 2015 7:50 pm

Hey Mike! Thanks for chiming in...it has been a while!

I'm still trying to figure out how to adjust the settings on my H9 and it's 910/949 settings. I adjust the A and B pitch controls and it doesn't go below zero. I'll get it eventually and try your settings out.

Also, what particular song is that for? Or is that a general VH setting? I'm trying to stick to settings for individual songs since they vary so much from song to song.

For instance, "(Oh) Pretty Woman"-which might just be a regular chorus pedal-sounds like a completely different setting from "Unchained" or "Panama".

Thanks again-great to hear from you!

topsportsmanta1

Post by topsportsmanta1 » Wed Nov 25, 2015 8:03 pm

It has been awhile buddy great to see you here and talk to you again , and thanks for the live with out a net tabs buddy ive learned a lot from them ,
910 949 is balance tone all the way and most everything else onward

the micro pitch is older vh that really sounds phenomenal
what i do is change my wet dry signal for different songs like unchained and panama n oh pretty woman it has taken me some time to really learn it but once you do there so awesome
mike

garbeaj

Post by garbeaj » Thu Nov 26, 2015 3:22 pm

Cool...any specific settings for the songs you mentioned? Fun that the Micropitch would work best for earlier VH...would that be like the overdubs on "Dance The Night Away"?