One Wire Mod Hiss

The man, the band, and everything else

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, RACKSYSTEMS

fhn_lopes
Just the numbers in order: 7

Re: One Wire Mod Hiss

Post by fhn_lopes » Wed Jan 27, 2016 11:45 am

I did the one wire without the resistor, only with shielded cable. No hiss, lots of gain. I also tried a 10k at v1b cathode and it sounded KILLER, no thin sound or anything... again no hiss. Came it back to stock now but kinda regret it :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
76' JMP 50w w/ 71' metro board
93' Fernandes SSS strat
93' Fender Japan HSS Strat
4x12 w/ 2x 25w rola creambacks /2x 25w m75 Scumbacks

metalhead3ecr

Post by metalhead3ecr » Thu Jan 28, 2016 8:17 am

fhn_lopes wrote:I did the one wire without the resistor, only with shielded cable. No hiss, lots of gain. I also tried a 10k at v1b cathode and it sounded KILLER, no thin sound or anything... again no hiss. Came it back to stock now but kinda regret it :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hmm, I've tried shielded cable too and no luck. Anytime I mess with a higher V1a/V1b cathode resistor (anything higher than 820) The gain drops, the noise drops, and so does the tone.

**Keep in mind that this hiss is ONLY when I dime Vol1 and Vol2**

I think it has to do with what this:
Colossal wrote:you are hearing the sound of the stream of electrons boiling off the filament and slamming into the anode.
I'm just perplexed that other people's amps don't reflect the noise issue as bad as mine. I'll investigate more this weekend...that's my only free time at the moment.

Colossal

Post by Colossal » Thu Jan 28, 2016 9:42 am

metalhead3ecr wrote:I'm just perplexed that other people's amps don't reflect the noise issue as bad as mine. I'll investigate more this weekend...that's my only free time at the moment.
Hiss noticeable at higher to very high volumes with high gain amps is normal. It is can be reduced to some degree depending on tube characteristics such as long or short plate and tube choice, but it is not going to be eliminated. Also, your perception of your amp being extra hissy might be due to differences in recording versus what you've heard posted. Even through an iPad, your amp sounded chewy and fat. Unless you notice bizarre artifacts trying to choke out the tone, which may be indicative of oscillation or other issues, it is probably fine. As mentioned previously, any efforts to reduce lead length and observe proper dress will help with the noise floor up to a point. I avoid shielded cable whenever possible.

metalhead3ecr

Post by metalhead3ecr » Thu Jan 28, 2016 10:04 am

Well said Colossal! Technically I have the tone I want, and the signal to noise when recording is more tolerable. I'll try a couple other tweaks and then give it a rest and get back to playing the damn thing! :thumbsup: