Sean McFly thoughts

The man, the band, and everything else

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, RACKSYSTEMS

garbeaj
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Re: Sean McFly thoughts

Post by garbeaj » Thu Feb 04, 2016 8:09 am

JimiJames wrote:
garbeaj wrote:I agree that Sean has a lot of the important elements going. Always fun to hear his clips. And I do prefer the Bray sounds. But as the owner of one of a Mod 5 Marshall done by Mark, I have to say (as I've said since I got my hands on my Rockstah Marshall) that the Mod 5 is the best way to get a really nice Van Halen 1 style tone (and other albums when dialed in a little) at super quiet bedroom volumes...
What are you preamp tubes ?' 'cause, Seansy ain't diggin on his... Y'all modder fivers need to know that rockstah targeted ARS and one in persnikitty :wink:
Looks like Mark used a 12AX7 with red markings...two "J" letters in a circle and the numbers ECC83S? I only know this because my tech replaced this tube because it was what was causing me microphonic feedback problems.

white noise

Post by white noise » Thu Feb 04, 2016 8:25 am

JimiJames wrote:
garbeaj wrote:I agree that Sean has a lot of the important elements going. Always fun to hear his clips. And I do prefer the Bray sounds. But as the owner of one of a Mod 5 Marshall done by Mark, I have to say (as I've said since I got my hands on my Rockstah Marshall) that the Mod 5 is the best way to get a really nice Van Halen 1 style tone (and other albums when dialed in a little) at super quiet bedroom volumes...
What are you preamp tubes ?' 'cause, Seansy ain't diggin on his... Y'all modder fivers need to know that rockstah targeted ARS and one in persnikitty :wink:
Jimi, you lost me on your post... not sure what you said... :shrug:

JimiJames

Post by JimiJames » Thu Feb 04, 2016 10:27 am

LM-12AX7A
RIP Mark Abrahamian-rockstah -classmate/roommate
RIP Ben Wise -StuntDouble- comrade-in-arms

Sean_McFly

Post by Sean_McFly » Thu Feb 04, 2016 8:56 pm

JimiJames wrote:
Lol I'm confused at who's preamp tubes you were asking about, but I've got a setup that's KILLER in the mod5 circuit! V1 is a pretty hot Mullard ECC83 12ax7, V2 is an old 80's Marshall ECC83 with some great clarity and a balanced gain level, and V3 is a Sovtek 12ax7 LPS. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE my Mod5, but I know that Bray's new mods are different than my old Mod1 (mine was done in 2006), so I've been gassing for a 4550 for so long now that I just HAD to have one! I will always love playing the Mod5 (especially with my EVH 2x12 cab. That setup has some deadly crunch)! However, I know that ever since I have heard clips of a 4550, I've known that this amp has a special quality that really fits my style of playing in a very one of a kind way. I'm more than blessed to be able to own my three dream amps: an early Bray Mod1 (very unique and classic, warm, mid gain plexi sound), my Mod 5 (one of the best amps I've ever played so far, and a true vintage at that! Not just a Mod 5, a mod that is now a rare piece of history, but a Mod 5 on a 1980 2204 JMP!), and now I'll be the proud owner of a Bray 4550 Deluxe (nothing sounds like it. And man, so many push pull pots and 4 gain options in an organic 1-channel plexi, built into a combo for small club situations)! I may not have a wall of 60's era and 12xxx series plexi's, but my three amps are a tri force of tone that will honestly never leave me longing for another tone in my entire life. Anything I buy moving forward is gonna happen years from now and be for strictly fun purposes (like picking up an old '68 to say I have one lol). And I'm extremely thankful at how rare of a situation this is, and I'm damn pleased about it :shred:
"Guess you guys aren't ready for that yet, but your kids are gonna love it"- Marty Mcfly

JimiJames

Post by JimiJames » Thu Feb 04, 2016 9:50 pm

garbeaj wrote:
JimiJames wrote:
Looks like Mark used a 12AX7 with red markings...two "J" letters in a circle and the numbers ECC83S? I only know this because my tech replaced this tube because it was what was causing me microphonic feedback problems.
Yes, you are correct - for his commercial tubes which were both pre's & pwr.
Modder fivers ? ehh... members with Mod 5... :shrug: ? .... like you guys that ALL own one, that are in this thread ? & that, was hard ? :what:
Sean was having issues with his M5 not happy with his deteriorating sound. He asked about pre's. Had a few threads on that and I posted the answer :whistle: - no response. Same in another thread. nuthin....
Thanks Allen for responding to the post directly asking you what preamp tubes you use so that maybe this time and since this is a Sean McFly Topic I was trying to "help a guy out"... Seansy :what:
Unlike Velvet George, I speak read & write Greek and I can post that for the next one... since it's ALL Greek to y'all... other-words if y'all modder fivers don't want to know what he used exclusively, then... JJ's are fine :popcorn:
RIP Mark Abrahamian-rockstah -classmate/roommate
RIP Ben Wise -StuntDouble- comrade-in-arms

Sean_McFly

Post by Sean_McFly » Fri Feb 05, 2016 12:48 pm

JimiJames wrote:Yes, you are correct - for his commercial tubes which were both pre's & pwr.
Modder fivers ? ehh... members with Mod 5... :shrug: ? .... like you guys that ALL own one, that are in this thread ? & that, was hard ? :what:
Sean was having issues with his M5 not happy with his deteriorating sound. He asked about pre's. Had a few threads on that and I posted the answer :whistle: - no response. Same in another thread. nuthin....
Thanks Allen for responding to the post directly asking you what preamp tubes you use so that maybe this time and since this is a Sean McFly Topic I was trying to "help a guy out"... Seansy :what:
Unlike Velvet George, I speak read & write Greek and I can post that for the next one... since it's ALL Greek to y'all... other-words if y'all modder fivers don't want to know what he used exclusively, then... JJ's are fine :popcorn:
Lol yea I'm terrible at replying to topics. I think I had ordered the Mullard for v1 when I saw your advice on the pre's :lol: I also tried a JJ in the v1 from my bray and that was an interesting sound, but the best for the mod5 I've found so far has been that Mullard! It gives it some extra tightness and hair that is evened out through the Duncan '78 in my Warmoth. Plus with the right settings and speaker combination, it can dial in a stellar Appetite for Destruction sound! And I'd be very curious as to what pre's Mark exclusively swore by! I think my Mod5 was one of the only ones he chose to leave some stock Pre's in, so that'd be very good knowledge to know, especially for when that last stock pre goes. I know you mentioned the ARS LM-12AX7, but were there any others? And in what position did he put the ARS in? I'm guessing V1?
"Guess you guys aren't ready for that yet, but your kids are gonna love it"- Marty Mcfly

GilmourD

Post by GilmourD » Sat Mar 26, 2016 4:27 pm

EJSLPlexi wrote:this dude nailed the VH I tone! https://youtu.be/j211mJ7aRSw?t=54s
it just does not get closer than that! ended my journey that's for sure!
when he hits that last F power chord i die a little more each time i hear it! :(
Why do I remember there being some sort of trickery with that video, like it wasn't him or something?

Or is my CRS getting worse in my old age?

Sean_McFly

Post by Sean_McFly » Sun Apr 03, 2016 12:37 am

http://forum.metroamp.com/viewtopic.php?f=49&t=45465

View that topic for the first clip of my new Bray :toast:

STEINBERGER

Post by STEINBERGER » Sun Apr 03, 2016 7:13 am

Sounds really good again. But then again a lot of your other clips sound darn good too.
Oh by the way i tried to send you a message. not sure if you received it.

garbeaj

Post by garbeaj » Sun Apr 03, 2016 3:56 pm

GilmourD wrote:
EJSLPlexi wrote:this dude nailed the VH I tone! https://youtu.be/j211mJ7aRSw?t=54s
when he hits that last F power chord i die a little more each time i hear it! :(
Why do I remember there being some sort of trickery with that video, like it wasn't him or something?

As far as I recall there were some shenanigans going on with this. I think the guy didn't actually play any of it and/or there was some sort of trickery going on...aside from the ridiculous self-aggrandizing bullshit video.

And I absolutely agree that Sean's clips with the Bray sound amazing.

Sean_McFly

Post by Sean_McFly » Sun Apr 03, 2016 7:50 pm

garbeaj wrote:
GilmourD wrote:

As far as I recall there were some shenanigans going on with this. I think the guy didn't actually play any of it and/or there was some sort of trickery going on...aside from the ridiculous self-aggrandizing bullshit video.

Thanks for the kind words on my playing dude! And FYI, the guy in the video is Mike Himmel, a hired gun who's played with Bret Michaels and other touring acts, so he's definitely got chops. The video is way over the top, though lolol. This is an old demo of the Billy Blades "Firebolt" amp, I believe. Not a bad amp by any means, however, a little too contained tone-wise and super-modded for my personal taste.

Another demo of the amp is here:

GilmourD

Post by GilmourD » Thu Apr 07, 2016 7:34 pm

Sean_McFly wrote:
garbeaj wrote:
GilmourD wrote:Why do I remember there being some sort of trickery with that video, like it wasn't him or something?

Thanks for the kind words on my playing dude! And FYI, the guy in the video is Mike Himmel, a hired gun who's played with Bret Michaels and other touring acts, so he's definitely got chops. The video is way over the top, though lolol. This is an old demo of the Billy Blades "Firebolt" amp, I believe. Not a bad amp by any means, however, a little too contained tone-wise and super-modded for my personal taste.

Another demo of the amp is here:
Now I remember... Billy Blades was building amps that looked like hell inside and were legitimate fire hazards a few times. :stars: