NOOOOOOB question regarding Friedman spec and dual variac

The man, the band, and everything else

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, RACKSYSTEMS

JohnnyGtar
Just the numbers in order: 13492

NOOOOOOB question regarding Friedman spec and dual variac

Post by JohnnyGtar » Thu Mar 24, 2016 2:32 pm

Hi everyone,

I've seen some posts here regarding Ed's sound on the forum basically saying that "we chased it for years and now it's pretty much figured out".

Does this mean running a 12000 series head using both the Friedman spec and a dual variac setup? I do understand that there are other huge factors (which I also have a lot of learn about.) such as the guitar and effects that are being used and the playing involved that make a huge impact on the sound as well, so please, no "You need Ed's hands" comments. LOL. I'm just looking for clarity on the amp setup at present.

Any advice greatly appreciated! :toast:

Best regards,

Johnny
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming... "Wow! What a ride!"

stratonenator
Just the numbers in order: 7

Re: NOOOOOOB question regarding Friedman spec and dual varia

Post by stratonenator » Thu Mar 24, 2016 2:46 pm

I think the post you mentioned is just trying to say that just about every aspect of EVH's tone has been explored, and that we've managed to find what works through various avenues. I think generally the consensus is that the Friedman spec 12000 series variaced to taste with a good 4x12 and guitar seems to get people where their ears are leading them. The dual variac setup has just been one of the more recent developments in the eternal quest for tone, whether it was used or not.

The long and the short of it though, a good plexi is the core of the tone, everything else just builds on that.
So you think your Mesa-Boogie is cool? You won't even be able to hear it over my Marshall Superlead

JohnnyGtar
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Re: NOOOOOOB question regarding Friedman spec and dual varia

Post by JohnnyGtar » Thu Mar 24, 2016 4:00 pm

stratonenator wrote:I think the post you mentioned is just trying to say that just about every aspect of EVH's tone has been explored, and that we've managed to find what works through various avenues. I think generally the consensus is that the Friedman spec 12000 series variaced to taste with a good 4x12 and guitar seems to get people where their ears are leading them. The dual variac setup has just been one of the more recent developments in the eternal quest for tone, whether it was used or not.

The long and the short of it though, a good plexi is the core of the tone, everything else just builds on that.
Thank you very much! :rock:
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming... "Wow! What a ride!"