He really DID turn UP the Variac?

The man, the band, and everything else

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, RACKSYSTEMS

jnew
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Re: He really DID turn UP the Variac?

Post by jnew » Tue Aug 30, 2016 8:57 pm

Of course it worked without problems. Your amp ran on a lowered voltage. Which is what we're all doing. Which is opposite of the discussion we're having here. Leave your amp on 220VAC, crank the voltage up to 250-255VAC. 8)

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default ... ID=1214336" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

johnnybgoood
Just the numbers in order: 7

Post by johnnybgoood » Tue Aug 30, 2016 10:54 pm

I misunderstood. Apologies for adding to the debate. I know the discussion was about increasing the wall voltage with the Variac to 140 volts. I simply added the variable of the voltage selector because Ed fiddled with a "220-volt Marshall." Since Van Halen has admitted to lying in the past, and is still being coy and throwing out crap like inventing the potting of pickups, maybe he fucked up everybody looking at his rig at the clubs by cranking up the Variac and changing the power transformer voltage selector to 220 volts. It's a possibility. Should we question everything, or be sheep and swallow whatever nonsense they feed us?

jnew

Post by jnew » Wed Aug 31, 2016 7:12 am

All good. :thumbsup:

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default ... ID=1214336" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

indeedido

Post by indeedido » Wed Aug 31, 2016 5:49 pm

fivecoyote wrote:Great point. No doubt in my mind he turned it up to see what happens, and probly more than once. This is a guy who wired his amp to a wall light dimmer!
nondeplume wrote:Well, the first three albums he mostly played the solo's straight of the box, no OD's. Are you suggesting that Rudy was sitting there turning the dial during takes? Even if that were true, ramping up/down the variac in that manner the amp takes a moment to react, like a Leslie speaker, certainly not fast enough for RnR in the context being suggested.

What if the pot coming out of the back of his Marshall as seen in the VH II session pic was the light dimmer. Think about that! :listen:

jnew

Post by jnew » Wed Aug 31, 2016 11:49 pm

I don't think it would fit in the chassis. Somewhere in the head cab, maybe but I seriously doubt the chassis. Not to mention that the AC would have to be routed all the way to the other side from where the AC cord goes in, to where the supposed dimmer pot is, and then all the way back to the other side again to the PWR Trans. I don't think so.

plexified

Post by plexified » Sat Sep 24, 2016 2:34 am

Hey ,
I am glad Nondeplume jumped in as I love his extensive detail and unique presence and Jnew, well , we know your dangerous, but Twisty , You have posted some of the most intense and useful dedications to science in our world , why stand on the stool with the intent of harboring incoming Tesla coil electrical imminence within this experiment?
AND now you have a tech ? Wow , we need more guys like you on this board man . I loved all the stuff you contribute for real , but I think we can get a filament transformer to run separate and then a juice laden variac to fuel those tubes. If you want to be real trick , run two variacs . For the sake of science of course , one for the output tubes and one for the pre amp tubes . You will be king Twisty at the end of this one. Use external bias monitors so you can keep things alive and your gonna be dialing intense DATA that nobody really does. AND your shit will not burn up and you will not get electrocuted and then you can produce a Chris Angel like show . We can watch and wonder what happens next . Sound clips before the whole thing goes plasma vapor on camera could go viral and that could pay some big you tube bucks , because your a sensation waiting to happen . Your chops , your personality and we get to love you! ( key movie intrigue) and then the open ended *POOF* .....................TWISTY! NNOOOOOOOOOOOOO and then your golden .

Killer tone and sounds, maybe songs , hidden persona , then BOOM he is back from the unknown , to experiment and record AGAIN!!!!!!
Ok , stop with the aligator clips and showing us family and backround stuff that makes us care about you so much . I see your sucking us into this stuff like Knieval jumping the Snake canyon . You , Well , you could find a way to do it , Knieval , well he was sabotaged. You could make a 77 Fender Super sound like a wall of doom. I believe in you Twisty. Please be safe.
Plus , I want to hear your new licks that we all at the board here can steal for our own. Oh , hell , four , five , six years , who is counting anymore , we all sound like you now. Damn it. How many have died already from the aligator clips already man , you have to stop this madness , your slowly culling the metro readers with your bolden antics. We cannot go on like this.
Can you not even consider Amp Modeling for Chris sakes , for all of our sakes. Your thinning us , soon , their will be a peak in viral interest and then , then what , POOF , Nobody left to carry the torch . They will all be electrocuted and then what?

mr.twistyneck

Post by mr.twistyneck » Sun Sep 25, 2016 9:53 pm

LOL Plexified that made my day!