Panama "low volume"

The man, the band, and everything else

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, RACKSYSTEMS

rawel34
Just the numbers in order: 7

Panama "low volume"

Post by rawel34 » Sat Jan 21, 2017 2:57 pm

Custom mahogany PAF's Strat -- light TC MojoMojo boosting -- Marshall DSL100.
Guitar is recorded at VERY low volume.
Hope you like it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6YLcbY8K1EY

garbeaj
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Re: Panama "low volume"

Post by garbeaj » Sat Jan 21, 2017 4:44 pm

Excellent tone and playing as usual! I wish more people gave as much of a shit as you do when it comes to playing and tone. Thanks to you and the others I can count on one hand who care!

rawel34

Post by rawel34 » Sat Jan 21, 2017 6:08 pm

garbeaj wrote:Excellent tone and playing as usual! I wish more people gave as much of a shit as you do when it comes to playing and tone. Thanks to you and the others I can count on one hand who care!
:toast:

fivecoyote

Post by fivecoyote » Tue Jan 24, 2017 5:05 pm

Yep, NICE playing man! Wish you had turned it up in the studio, would've rawked!
At it awhile, still learnin'

Get woodalicious tonology factoid learnin' at http://www.WOODYTONE.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;!

garbeaj

Post by garbeaj » Tue Jan 24, 2017 7:17 pm

Are you using any Eventide on this clip?

rawel34

Post by rawel34 » Wed Jan 25, 2017 2:46 am

No tricks at all.
Guitar, stomp box, amp, mic, recording software : this is the signal chain.
The only "trick" I've got is a mixing emulation about the original stuff. :vh:

garbeaj

Post by garbeaj » Wed Jan 25, 2017 7:33 am

rawel34 wrote:No tricks at all.
Wow! That "trick" is THE trick! It nails the sound of the record. Amazing that I don't even miss the Eventide that was on the original recording...really amazing! So what exactly is this "mixing emulation"? Are you just using your ears to approximate the sound that you hear on the original recording and applying that to the settings in your recording software?

What software are you using? How are you connecting your mic to the computer?

I'm currently trying to record video clips with my iPhone so I can get video, but the audio is horrible and I'm trying to figure out how to get better audio. I've been looking at the Shure MV1 car to lightning interface for iPhone...that might be a start.

I need to have video so people can see me play live in YouTube clips and the iPhone is the only thing I have for video...and the quality is great for video, it's just getting the audio to the level of the video is difficult.

Not sure if you have any advice? If only I could get the excellent quality audio in my video clips that you've had going in all your clips since you first started posting here!

rawel34

Post by rawel34 » Wed Jan 25, 2017 9:19 am

garbeaj wrote:
Wow! That "trick" is THE trick! It nails the sound of the record. Amazing that I don't even miss the Eventide that was on the original recording...really amazing! So what exactly is this "mixing emulation"? Are you just using your ears to approximate the sound that you hear on the original recording and applying that to the settings in your recording software?

I'm currently trying to record video clips with my iPhone so I can get video, but the audio is horrible and I'm trying to figure out how to get better audio. I've been looking at the Shure MV1 car to lightning interface for iPhone...that might be a start.

I need to have video so people can see me play live in YouTube clips and the iPhone is the only thing I have for video...and the quality is great for video, it's just getting the audio to the level of the video is difficult.

Not sure if you have any advice? If only I could get the excellent quality audio in my video clips that you've had going in all your clips since you first started posting here!

The only "trick" to get a decent mix VH-style is that one well known in many threads all around Internet : dry sound in left channel and wet sound in right channel. I'm not sound engineer but I like to get pretty close "by ears" using Cubase and getting care more about playing than gear or legends about it. Right gear helps so much but is not all IMHO.

garbeaj

Post by garbeaj » Wed Jan 25, 2017 10:53 am

rawel34 wrote:
garbeaj wrote:

The only "trick" to get a decent mix VH-style is that one well known in many threads all around Internet : dry sound in left channel and wet sound in right channel. I'm not sound engineer but I like to get pretty close "by ears" using Cubase and getting care more about playing than gear or legends about it. Right gear helps so much but is not all IMHO.
Your ears are sharp...the delay, the placement in the stereo spectrum...obviously your ear for the tone itself is excellent. I want to be you when I grow up! What mics are you using and what interface are you using to plug into your computer?

rawel34

Post by rawel34 » Wed Jan 25, 2017 4:13 pm

Your ears are sharp...the delay, the placement in the stereo spectrum...obviously your ear for the tone itself is excellent. I want to be you when I grow up! What mics are you using and what interface are you using to plug into your computer?[/quote]

My dear friend, such I said before, what I use to make my clips is VERY simple and affordable.
Guitar -- TC MojoMojo overdrive such light booster -- Marshall DSL100 (Ultra Gain lead 1) with VERY LOW output volume (all saturation comes by pre-amp) -- SM57 -- Dragoon 2x12 with Celestion G12H's -- Edirol sound card -- Cubase.
Everything else comes by my mixing job.
I think the FIRST thing to take care is a good playing and a good standard of sound. This helps so much when it's time of mixing.
So, thank you for your appreciation.

garbeaj

Post by garbeaj » Thu Jan 26, 2017 7:59 am

garbeaj wrote:Your ears are sharp...the delay, the placement in the stereo spectrum...obviously your ear for the tone itself is excellent. I want to be you when I grow up! What mics are you using and what interface are you using to plug into your computer?
rawel34 wrote:My dear friend, such I said before, what I use to make my clips is VERY simple and affordable.
Guitar -- TC MojoMojo overdrive such light booster -- Marshall DSL100 (Ultra Gain lead 1) with VERY LOW output volume (all saturation comes by pre-amp) -- SM57 -- Dragoon 2x12 with Celestion G12H's -- Edirol sound card -- Cubase.
I think the FIRST thing to take care is a good playing and a good standard of sound. This helps so much when it's time of mixing.
I totally agree...if you've seen any of my posts on this site you will see that I talk about playing and tuning 99% of the time!

So it is Edirol sound card? What model is it? I've found a model UA 25 that has two xlr inputs...I'm trying to make video clips so I'm trying to find something like this that can go into an iPhone. I have Audacity, which is free. I'm sure Cubase is much better, but maybe Audacity will be an Ok substitute? I would guess that listening and tweaking with headphones/monitors is crucial?

rawel34

Post by rawel34 » Thu Jan 26, 2017 8:58 am

garbeaj wrote:
garbeaj wrote:Your ears are sharp...the delay, the placement in the stereo spectrum...obviously your ear for the tone itself is excellent. I want to be you when I grow up! What mics are you using and what interface are you using to plug into your computer?
rawel34 wrote:My dear friend, such I said before, what I use to make my clips is VERY simple and affordable.
I totally agree...if you've seen any of my posts on this site you will see that I talk about playing and tuning 99% of the time!

So it is Edirol sound card? What model is it? I've found a model UA 25 that has two xlr inputs...I'm trying to make video clips so I'm trying to find something like this that can go into an iPhone. I have Audacity, which is free. I'm sure Cubase is much better, but maybe Audacity will be an Ok substitute? I would guess that listening and tweaking with headphones/monitors is crucial?

It's a simple UA-4fx.
I have too Audacity but I used it just for some things and not for recording.
I like audio works more than videos, so I'm not able to help you. Let's get more experimentations as you can ... I'm sure you'll have nice results about !

garbeaj

Post by garbeaj » Thu Jan 26, 2017 2:44 pm

rawel34 wrote:
garbeaj wrote:

It's a simple UA-4fx.
I like audio works more than videos, so I'm not able to help you. Let's get more experimentations as you can ... I'm sure you'll have nice results about !
I hope so! Grazie mille! I've been watching 'Il commissario Montalbano' and working on my Italian language skills :)

rawel34

Post by rawel34 » Thu Jan 26, 2017 3:23 pm

garbeaj wrote:
rawel34 wrote:
garbeaj wrote:

It's a simple UA-4fx.
I hope so! Grazie mille! I've been watching 'Il commissario Montalbano' and working on my Italian language skills :)
Very nice, Garbeaj ... nice you're practicing italian language and nice you're right now speaking with a Sicilian ...

garbeaj

Post by garbeaj » Thu Jan 26, 2017 5:55 pm

rawel34 wrote:
garbeaj wrote:
rawel34 wrote:

It's a simple UA-4fx.
Very nice, Garbeaj ... nice you're practicing italian language and nice you're right now speaking with a Sicilian ...
Better food in Sicily...I want to live on Sicilian seafood especially!