FW Tone

The man, the band, and everything else

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, RACKSYSTEMS

kiddangerous

FW Tone

Post by kiddangerous » Thu Sep 10, 2020 11:57 am

I was working on another software release and based on the year decided to check out FW since it was close, circa '82. Like all of the albums, it's a slightly different take on the previous tones. I love that about VH. From interviews, it seems like this was purely Donn? I wish he would write a book! Sticking with blending speakers, I used the blackback from previous recordings mixed with a G12-65. Same amp. In the stems you can hear more bass and a harmonizer but I was just going for raw tone.

If you've got the real thing I'd be curious to hear how it sounds with your rig!

https://soundcloud.com/themusicologygro ... comparison

johnnybgoood
Just the numbers in order: 7

Re: FW Tone

Post by johnnybgoood » Fri Sep 11, 2020 1:31 pm

kiddangerous wrote:
Thu Sep 10, 2020 11:57 am
it seems like this was purely Donn
Fully agree. The recorded sounds were the results of Donn working on the mixing board. I think he added phased parallel EQ'ing to help cancel some of the Electro-Magnetic Interference (EMI) from a dimed Plexi. The results that came out were pure guitar tone magic. The key for me was listening to those isolated EVH guitar tracks on the internet and noticing the lack of noise from a Variac'd Superlead on 10.

Oddly that EchoPlex preamp circuit seems to get rid of some EMI but adds it's own type of hiss. I' guessing the difference in tone from album to album is Donn & Ed moving the mic placement probably by 1/16th of an inch left or right.

Below is a clip to confirm this conclusion with a high percent of certainty. First clip is a dry D120f followed by a dry G12M Pre Rola. The third clip are both mic'd speakers combined with phase cancelling parallel EQ'ing. The final short clip is Eddie's isolated guitar.
https://vocaroo.com/embed/1dy5EbDcpfba

SQUAREHEAD

Post by SQUAREHEAD » Sun Sep 13, 2020 1:25 pm

johnnybgoood wrote:
Fri Sep 11, 2020 1:31 pm
kiddangerous wrote:
Fully agree. The recorded sounds were the results of Donn working on the mixing board. I think he added phased parallel EQ'ing to help cancel some of the Electro-Magnetic Interference (EMI) from a dimed Plexi. The results that came out were pure guitar tone magic. The key for me was listening to those isolated EVH guitar tracks on the internet and noticing the lack of noise from a Variac'd Superlead on 10.

Oddly that EchoPlex preamp circuit seems to get rid of some EMI but adds it's own type of hiss. I' guessing the difference in tone from album to album is Donn & Ed moving the mic placement probably by 1/16th of an inch left or right.

Below is a clip to confirm this conclusion with a high percent of certainty. First clip is a dry D120f followed by a dry G12M Pre Rola. The third clip are both mic'd speakers combined with phase cancelling parallel EQ'ing. The final short clip is Eddie's isolated guitar.
Very very cool brother! Well done!

kiddangerous

Post by kiddangerous » Mon Sep 14, 2020 4:33 pm

It's an interesting note. Do you have any links describing the technique? I can't say that I hear the evidence listening to the clips you provided, but maybe I can look at the spectrum and check if I can see the evidence.

That being said, I'm sure Donn and Ed were bouncing off of each other in the studio. The only hope is that some of the knowledge they built up over the years gets preserved.

MrBeasty
Just the numbers in order: 7

Post by MrBeasty » Fri Dec 11, 2020 9:23 pm

johnnybgoood wrote:
Fri Sep 11, 2020 1:31 pm
kiddangerous wrote:

A "Variac-ed" Super Lead is no longer a 100w beast. If you lower it enough it gets to 25 or 30w. That is still plenty loud, but not "dimmed Plexi" bananas! That would reduce hiss too, so with limited mic pre-amp gain, you probably could get a good signal to noise ratio. IMHO.

SQUAREHEAD

Post by SQUAREHEAD » Tue Oct 26, 2021 8:31 am

kiddangerous wrote:
I was working on another software release and based on the year decided to check out FW since it was close, circa '82. Like all of the albums, it's a slightly different take on the previous tones. I love that about VH. From interviews, it seems like this was purely Donn? I wish he would write a book! Sticking with blending speakers, I used the blackback from previous recordings mixed with a G12-65. Same amp. In the stems you can hear more bass and a harmonizer but I was just going for raw tone.

If you've got the real thing I'd be curious to hear how it sounds with your rig!

https://soundcloud.com/themusicologygro ... comparison
In my opinion, This tone is actually better than the original…