PTP BOARDS 67/8/9,WHAT SHOULD I USE???

Info about our boards and kits.

Moderator: VelvetGeorge

james

PTP BOARDS 67/8/9,WHAT SHOULD I USE???

Post by james » Sun Mar 06, 2005 6:29 pm

HELLO,CAN ANYONE DESCRIBE TONALLY WHAT THE DIFFERENCES ARE BETWEEN THESE THREE BOARDS THAT ARE OFFERED?I WOULD GREATLY APPRECIATE IT.I RECENTLY GOT A SLPX,I KNOW IT'S GOT THE LOOP BUT WHAT AM I GONNA DO? I GOT IT FOR NEXT TO NOTHING SO THAT'S WHAT I'M WORKING WITH. I GOT THE 1.5 CLONE OT TRANNY AS WELL AS THE CONTRIVERSAL MULLARD EL34'S AND SCORED SOME NOS MULLARD PREAMP TUBES,CV4004 W/HALO IF THAT MAKES SENSE CAUSE I'M PRETTY NEW TO THIS WHOLE THING.I WILL BE USING THE PPI MASTER KIT AS WELL.WHAT I'M LOOKING FOR IN THE END IS THE TONE OF THE RECORDINGS USED BY THE ALLMANS ON THE FILLMORE EAST TRACKS,I KNOW DUANE USED A 50WATT PLEXI AND DICKEY USED A HUNDRED,SO I WOULD LIKE IT TO FALL SOMEWHERE WITHIN THAT REALM.ANY HELP TO GET THIS WOULD BE A GREAT HELP SO I CAN MAKE A SOUND DECISION BEFORE I JUMP IN TO IT!!! THANKS!!!!

tooloud
Just the numbers in order: 7

Post by tooloud » Sun Mar 06, 2005 6:37 pm

get the 69 board then you can have split cathode or shared.and only some values change on the rest of the board for the different years...
and you can play with it till it sounds like you want.....

JAMES

Post by JAMES » Sun Mar 06, 2005 6:46 pm

THANK YOU FOR YOU HELP!!! I WAS KIND OF LEANING THAT WAY AFTER READING SEVERAL POST!!!

Dax

Post by Dax » Sun Mar 06, 2005 7:10 pm

Thats sounds like the way, Get a '69 board and install it and see what you think. Then change to shared cathode. Switch out some of the .022 Caps for the .1's and try out the 68' circuit. Shit, maybe i need to do that. I built a 69 board, messed with the feedback resistor and i'm happy. Very Happy.

cfljames

Post by cfljames » Sun Mar 06, 2005 7:53 pm

Thanks again!!!! I am real new to this,but is there a switch that operates the circuits from shared to split? , I apoligize because I believe that this was already answered for me but I didn't realize how this is done correctly.I would like to tackle all this myself but the more I look into it I see that I would be screwing with things on a hourly basis so maybe I'm better off letting George doing what he thinks is best.I'm sure that 'll love it !!!! The amp in it's stock form is a complete joke,all it does is provide a shrill tone that feeds back anywhere past five!!!! But these things are cheap in comparison to some other heads I have,so I look forward to have this torn into to see what this could really sound like in the end!!! There is no end is there guy's??

Dax-The-Ax

Post by Dax-The-Ax » Sun Mar 06, 2005 8:18 pm

For the switch, check page 2 of this thread.

http://forum.metroamp.com/viewtopic.php?t=1405

cfljames

Post by cfljames » Sun Mar 06, 2005 8:27 pm

Thanks Dax :) looks like the best of both worlds!!!!!

Billy

Post by Billy » Sun Mar 06, 2005 11:21 pm

Dont get too crazy thinking about switches if your not that familiar with building amps or Marshall circuits in general. I much prefer 67 and Super Bass circuits as do many people but I agree with everyone. Get yourself a 69 because you can always remove extra stuff and change a few things to make a 67. Its not so easy to add things to a 67 to make a 69. Your really talking about super bass vs super lead though. To make a true 67 or earlier your talkin a different transformer and filtering and possibly tubes. In any case have George make you a 69 Super Lead if you want and you can always mess with components which is not that hard.

cfljames

Post by cfljames » Mon Mar 07, 2005 9:05 am

Thanks Bill for your input,it looks like the right move after asking everyone who is more knowledgable then myself!
Current :
MARSHALL 1959HW TO 67/68 SUPERBASS
DIAZ CD100 HEAD
DIAZ 4X12/V30/4X12 ANGLE W/GREENBACKS
MARSHALL 4X12 W/CERWIN VEGA ER123 & GH30-H