possible '69 build

Info about our boards and kits.

Moderator: VelvetGeorge

distorted

possible '69 build

Post by distorted » Thu Mar 09, 2006 5:34 pm

I was wondering what would be the cheapest way to get a 69 circuit? I was thinking of getting a ptp board and soldering it up , throwing it into a chassis, and wireing up the transformers ect. I don't really care about looks. Is this going to get me a 69 at minimal costs, or am I better off looking for a junked amp and restoring it to 69 specs. Thanks.

saborthw

Post by saborthw » Fri Mar 10, 2006 1:00 am

It has been my experience you get what you pay for, if you find a cheap Plexi RI on ebay and throw a PTP board in it this will be an improvement but tubes, Caps and OT are a second part of the equasion, if you save a little and do a 69 kit you can specify everything, Mustard Caps, Sozos, Carbon comp or carbon film resistors, PT, OT ect. Once you get started building you will care how it looks, and if you do a clean build it will be much easier to troubleshoot if there are problems. I thought the same thing as you are thinking now about getting a RI but after looking for a decent RI, I would not have saved any money, thats why I started from scratch. My 2 cents.

Regards

Scott
Gear
59 LP, 1956 Custom Shop Strat, 50 wattt Mesa Stiletto Ace 1X12 combo , Protools OO2 R. 12XXX 68 Series Metro Plexi. 1960 BHW 4X12

distorted

Post by distorted » Fri Mar 10, 2006 3:20 pm

OK thanks. I will part out a 69 then. What I ment by not careing ebuot looks was that I was not going to drop money on plexi plates and an amp cab.
A wise man once said, "Why think outside of the box when it is easyer to build a bigger box to think inside?"

distorted

Post by distorted » Fri Mar 10, 2006 4:43 pm

sry about the dubble post but I got another question: Are the drop in boards for the RI amps only, or could I drop one in my DSL 100?

Another idea I had:

Build the preamp with its own standby swich, powered by a hammond 369 ax transformer. The amp will be built to the transition to the power amp which occours between v2 and v3 in the 1959 (with '69 componet values). After v2 but before v3 I will run the signal into my effects loop for a phase inverter, MV, and power section. As I see it this has many advantages, I can bypass all the channel switching crap, get an amp that sounds like a plexi, it is cheap, I have a MV, I don't have to dissasemble my dsl, my dsl is protected from me via 1 amp fuse, and I can add an output transformer to make a small amp or build the rest of the 100 watter around it. All thoughts and critisims are appriciated.

Thanks.
A wise man once said, "Why think outside of the box when it is easyer to build a bigger box to think inside?"

distorted

Post by distorted » Mon Mar 13, 2006 2:39 pm

bump?