Circuit Question Terminal Strips versus Turret Boards

Info about our boards and kits.

Moderator: VelvetGeorge

cancelthesound

Circuit Question Terminal Strips versus Turret Boards

Post by cancelthesound » Fri Jan 21, 2005 1:30 pm

Hey Guys,

I'm new here. I have a bunch of question regarding tubes amps and PTP construction but I thought I would start with these first:

What is the difference between terminal strips and turret boards?
Are there pros or cons to be considered for either construction method?
Which would yeild the most rugged and road worthy construction?

Thanks!

Billy Batz

Post by Billy Batz » Sun Jan 23, 2005 2:18 pm

Terminal strips are like a fence. They stand strait up in a long line of metal terminals. Most amps use terminal strips of some kind. Mostly a small 3 or 4 terminal strip near the tubes to have a place to solder resistors on the tubes and connect the wire.

Turret boards lay flat on the chassis (their actually lifted up off the chassis by mounting nuts about half an inch for room) and they have turrets which are hollow for you to mount the leads and components in. You can see examples of both at hoffmanamps.com angela.com tubesandmore.com mojotone.com and metroamp.com/store.

Ive considered not using a board and just mounting terminal strips on the chassis everywhere the way Matchless did. I just like the idea of buildign the board outside the amp then installing it whereas terminal strips are mounted to the chassis then you can mount the components.

cancelthesound

Post by cancelthesound » Mon Jan 24, 2005 2:22 pm

Thanks. That clears some things up.

Could terminal strips be mounted to a board and then mounted into an amp?

Billy Batz

Post by Billy Batz » Mon Jan 24, 2005 3:05 pm

I guess so but then why not use a complete board? I guess it may be easier then mounting turrets but its not the most elegant way to do things but it would work.