P2P vs PCB

Info about our boards and kits.

Moderator: VelvetGeorge

flemingmras
Just the numbers in order: 7

P2P vs PCB

Post by flemingmras » Thu May 20, 2004 11:03 am

You know, I just LOVE how people on Plexi Palace make a HUGE deal about P2P. Honestly, I don't think there is much of a difference in tone over PCB. I always will use point to point technology, but more for durability and ease of maintenance purposes.

Honestly I'd like those guys to take a PCB JCM800 Marshall and play through it. Then, take the EXACT SAME components off of the PCB and mount them to a P2P board, then play through it.

I don't forsee them hearing any tonal differences at all between the two.

Jon
There's just that fine line between stupid and clever - Nigel Tufnel

Flames1950

Post by Flames1950 » Thu May 20, 2004 12:17 pm

I think it may depend on the PCB itself; a multi-layered PCB could have capacitances and "cross-talk" types of problems that could hurt tone.
But for the classic Marshall Super Lead/Bass style amps I really think it's almost a moot point. Take the PCB out of my '75 Lead; all the traces are big and make a pretty direct path to where they're going, in a manner so similar to the PTP style amps that I can't believe there's a problem. As long as you don't have the traces messed up from too much heat, and the PCB's loaded with good components (mine's chock full o'Mustards) you're in good shape. My '75 absolutely HOWLS.
So if someone wants to argue PCB woes on their DSL/TSL I'll entertain them, but I really think it's not much of an issue on the mid-'73 amps up to the mid-80's, other than pure snobbery.

Country Boy Shane

Post by Country Boy Shane » Wed May 26, 2004 12:41 am

Probably not a lot of difference tonally but more on the ends of how easy each one is to work on. When working with PCB's, there will be lots of cursing.
Just Feel it MAN! -Shane Gorski "Country Boy Shane"

www.flickr.com/photos/shanegorski