Wiring Makes Difference In Sound?

Info about our boards and kits.

Moderator: VelvetGeorge

Al Nico

Wiring Makes Difference In Sound?

Post by Al Nico » Mon Mar 09, 2009 3:18 pm

Is there any NOTICEABLE difference in sound wiring up the PTP boards
with the High Voltage Buss connections on Top of the Board (like post 1968 amps and Georges instructions say) vs just putting all the wiring on the bottom of the board?
My first thought is to say there wouldn't be any difference, but then again running those wires on top would be putting them closer to the caps & resistors; while running them on the bottom MIGHT add extra capacitance, formed by the board material, etc.
Any thoughts?

mogo
Just the numbers in order: 7

Re: Wiring Makes Difference In Sound?

Post by mogo » Wed Mar 11, 2009 11:24 pm

Al Nico wrote:Is there any NOTICEABLE difference in sound wiring up the PTP boards
with the High Voltage Buss connections on Top of the Board (like post 1968 amps and Georges instructions say) vs just putting all the wiring on the bottom of the board?
My first thought is to say there wouldn't be any difference, but then again running those wires on top would be putting them closer to the caps & resistors; while running them on the bottom MIGHT add extra capacitance, formed by the board material, etc.
Any thoughts?

First off technically they are not PtP but Turret or Eyelet hand wired boards.
Yes all those wire have capacitance and crosstalk especially when bundled together. There are definately does and donts when it comes to this type of construction.
Running on the bottom is fine and probably preferable as long as you run up into a thru hole to terminate from the top. Otherwise it can be a pain if you unsolder a wire without knowing it. Also when on the bottom make sure nothingh gets pinched to a standoff. I have seen more than one old Plexi that had the bias supply wire pinched and shorted out. There is no extra capacitance from running the wire on the bottom of the board (since it isnt ground or conductive hopefully) unless it is lying on the chassis or bundled with another wire.

Al Nico

Re: Wiring Makes Difference In Sound?

Post by Al Nico » Thu Mar 12, 2009 11:04 am

I actually had a JMP50 where the HV wire to the V1 330uf cap, etc. was pinched and shorting out. Had me stumped for a bit....
Thanks for your input.