Correct staking tools (anvil, swager) for split top turrets?

Info about our boards and kits.

Moderator: VelvetGeorge

VintageCharlie
Just the numbers in order: 7

Correct staking tools (anvil, swager) for split top turrets?

Post by VintageCharlie » Tue Jan 25, 2011 8:16 pm

Dear forum members,
(i know i'm splitting hairs, but i'm sure many would be interested in the question, what the PROPER tools (that have been specially built and intended for this use) for split top turrets are and where to get them)

I'm about to order a few tools and i'm still not sure about the staking tools for the split top turrets. I got modern RS split tops and the ones made by Harwin (which George sold in his shop) - they both are identical in dimensions - also to the old 60's ones. The material is a bit thicker on the old and modern RS turrets though (which also means the holes are smaller on the RS).
Apart from the DIY approach, i found these tools from keystone: http://www.keyelco.com/pdfs/M55p125.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I simply want the best tools for the project - ones that give nice and consistent results - i'm aware of the fact that you can get the DIY tools from Hoffmann amps or build them yourself, but i suspect that it is possible to make nicer "flares" with those proper tools - they lead the edges of the turret more evenly, as they have a specially designed tip, unlike a simple bolt that has been "sharpened".
But the problem with these tools is this: the shank diameter of the split top turrets is about 2.55mm-2.60mm (0.1 in - 0.102 in), but both of the swagers that would be best suited for this purpose are meant for .062 (1.57mm) to .098 (2.49mm) and for .110 (2.80mm) to .125 (3.20mm)) - the diameter of the RS turrets falls right in the middle. On the other hand, we're talking about a diameter that is just 0.06-0.11mm bigger than the range of the small swager and 0.20mm smaller than the range of the bigger swager. Would this be a problem with either swager - and which one to get for the split top turrets?
I couldn't find anything from RS for this purpose. Harwin offers some tools, but no idea how they look and they are extremely expensive + have to be ordered from manufacturer.

I would appreciate any input on this - has anybody used the Keystone staking tools for the metro split top turrets? How did it work out? I know these can be bought at Mouser and i saw them also on turretboards.com - only question is if they are a perfect fit for this type of turret?

Thank you very much in advance!

Best regards,

VintageCharlie

wrea398

Re: Correct staking tools (anvil, swager) for split top turr

Post by wrea398 » Sat Jan 29, 2011 5:34 pm

The Harwin number for the correct tool is Z2073Z00. I can't find the tool listed anywhere, but this number is on the Harwin blueprint of these turrets. I use the make shift "bolt with a hole drilled into it" and another bolt with a rounded point ground onto it, both in a drill press. Works fine.

VintageCharlie

Post by VintageCharlie » Sat Jan 29, 2011 5:43 pm

Thanks Bill! Yes, i know that Harwin has their tool, but it's practically unavailable for some reason.
So you make that other bolt rounded and not sharp as the hoffmann thing or the description on tube depot? Do the flares on the other side of the board look nice or do they splitter as well when the bolt is rounded?

Thanks!

Best regads,

VintageCharlie

wrea398

Post by wrea398 » Sun Jan 30, 2011 8:09 am

Some of them split, some do not. It depends on the exact shape of the point and how you apply the force. The one shown online has a flat, wide point. I round my point over a little bit so it's like a small ball end. Works pretty good. I have 2 boards from Brian H and some of the turrets are split as well. A drill press allows you do go easy. When I tap a punch with a hammer I see more splitting.

wrea398

Post by wrea398 » Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:55 am

Hi Karlis. I just emailed Harwin on the tool part number. They sell the tool. Here is what they replied.

Hi Bill,

P/N Z2073Z00. These tools can be purchased through our distributors. The tools are made to order.

Best Regards,

--Dwayne