Board material?

Info about our boards and kits.

Moderator: VelvetGeorge

revolver1
Just the numbers in order: 7

Board material?

Post by revolver1 » Wed May 31, 2017 4:33 pm

I wanted to stake my own turret board this time around so I bought some 3mm Paxolin and cut it for the job
While it does look good I don't think it looks like an original, its sort of too smoothe and shiny.

I then started looking over original Plexi gut shots and I think it looks more like Tuffnol which is a fabric resin composite as opposed to paper resin.

The Tuffnol is not as brittle as the Paxolin which would be better for staking with regard to chipping i suppose.

Another thing is I can't make out the turrets in some of these shots. It kinda looks like the components are just soldered together in a hole in the board.
Could this be right, no turrets?

And did they ever use Paxolin or is it really Tuffnol?

Tazin

Re: Board material?

Post by Tazin » Wed May 31, 2017 5:18 pm

When it comes to phenolic resin boards trade names can complicate things. Marshall used paper-phenolic and linen-phenolic boards. The boards that typically fully perforated are paper-phenolic construction where as the boards that are not fully perforated are usually linen-phenolic. This is just a general rule of thumb.

Some boards have turrets while others have more of a eyelet rather than a turret.

revolver1

Post by revolver1 » Thu Jun 01, 2017 1:46 am

Cheers Tazin, thought I was going mad zooming in on these pics and it all gets a little blury.

I've ordered some linen phenolic board so I'll pick up some eylets for a bit of variation between these amps.

Thanks for the info.

revolver1

Post by revolver1 » Sat Jun 03, 2017 6:21 am

I'm going to have to sort out one of these photo bucket or what ever it is things.

I've been working cutting out my bords and they are looking nice. The Tuffnol I got is probably a little lighter In colour than the typical reddish brown you see but it still looks good. It's a great material, kinda like fibre glass but much nicer to look at. It's sort if more translucent so you can make out the linin.

I'm off to pick up s drill press now, I'm getting very excited about building again.

Benstoke
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Post by Benstoke » Sun Aug 29, 2021 11:04 am

Improving your home’s curb appeal is one of the easiest and quickest ways to increase your property value. Landscaping is less costly and a much smaller commitment than interior remodeling. Updating your landscape is an affordable way to add to your home’s personality. First impressions are everything. People are attracted to pretty homes with healthy trees, manicured lawns, and fresh paint. For that purpose the Resin driveway supplies are best they gives the services of renovation or building new home at affordable price.