2204s made in 1986 ..........for ptp conversion

Info about our boards and kits.

Moderator: VelvetGeorge

Tonegeek

2204s made in 1986 ..........for ptp conversion

Post by Tonegeek » Mon Feb 20, 2006 2:38 pm

Hello,
I would like to put Sozo caps in my 2204s.
Should I consider a ptp conversion or can I solder them in without cutting the leads to replicate ptp? The pots on this amp are soldered directly to the circuit board. It also has drake trannys and LCR filter caps.It already sounds very good but I would like to make it sound the best I can possibly
can.How do I approach this goal?

Billy Batz

Post by Billy Batz » Mon Feb 20, 2006 6:03 pm

I would do a PTP conversion at all times your thinking you may do a lot of tweaking or playing aroun with valus. It sounds liek you just want to upgrade caps. Then youll save yourself time and energy just replacing the caps alone. From what Ive heard all you have to do is unscrew all the pots and jacks and lift the board over backwards and you have good access to the traces. So just unsolder and resolder the caps. A solder plunger works better for getting the old solder out. I only use desoldering braid for smaller stuff.

Souelle

Post by Souelle » Wed Mar 08, 2006 1:22 am

Personnaly, I really like the Sozo in my plexi, but to me, they don't sound right in my 2204... The sound is too mushy, and miss the JCM-800 bite, in my 2204. I had the Mallory 150 at first and I have change them for the Sozo, but it was just not right, so I put the Mallory back in it, at now it sound like a real JCM-800...

On my plexi it was the opposite, I had Mallory before, and when I have upgrade it with the Sozo, the amp have start to sound like a real plexi.

I doN,t know if i'm the only one to think the Master Volume 2203 and 2204 are better with the Mallory, but that's my personnal taste...

Tonegeek

Sozo caps in a 2204

Post by Tonegeek » Thu Mar 16, 2006 10:15 pm

Now i'm really confused. Mallory or sozo's? For a 2204A?

Dax-The-Ax

Post by Dax-The-Ax » Wed Apr 05, 2006 1:07 am

Sozo's! Always! Turned my '86 JCM 800 into a Monster!

Dax

77custom

Post by 77custom » Thu Apr 06, 2006 10:21 am

Dax-The-Ax wrote:Sozo's! Always! Turned my '86 JCM 800 into a Monster!

Dax
I just sold my '87 JCM 800 2204. My friend came over and thought it was too bright so I told him I'd change some preamp tubes in it to warm it up. I went trough every new production tube that I had to warm it up. I came up using the JJ's in the preamp and the the power tubes as well. The amp still had a bite to it that he didn't like, so of course the bright cap was the first thing to go. I also replaced the 470k/470uf "treble peaking" with a 56K. I didn't like that, it sounded like someone threw a blanket over the speakers. Anyhow, the 470K/470uf went back in and at last resort, I changed the all the caps to SoZo's. Needless to say he was impressed with the tone of the amp and took it home yesterday. My point is the only way your going to know what you like is to just do it. If you don't like them then put the old ones back in or try something else. I don't think you'll be disappointed with the SoZo's.