Metro-Plex clip November 2014

All about the new Metropoulos plexi for the 21st Century.
VelvetGeorge
Site Owner
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Re: Metro-Plex clip November 2014

Post by VelvetGeorge » Wed Dec 03, 2014 4:27 pm

Grosh_Guitars wrote:George,

Sounds great. is there anyway you could do a clip where you swap the cabs? The 68 is definitely compressing more but I'm sure it has to do with the difference in speakers in each cab.
Spot on. The '68 sounds best through this particular cab. They compliment each other perfectly. The amp is bright and aggressive while the cab rolls of harsh upper midrange and pushes the vocal mids forward.
The overall tone from this combination of amp and cab are what I wanted to recreate. Given that, it doesn't make sense to play the Metro-Plex through the old cab, since they are both notching upper midrange and pushing mids forward. Does that make sense?

I will make clips through various cabs though. I have Creamback H's on the way to try next.

george
Check out Plexi Replicas for my personal amp builds...

tone?

Post by tone? » Sun Dec 07, 2014 4:06 am

VelvetGeorge wrote:
Grosh_Guitars wrote:George,

Sounds great. is there anyway you could do a clip where you swap the cabs? The 68 is definitely compressing more but I'm sure it has to do with the difference in speakers in each cab.
Spot on. The '68 sounds best through this particular cab. They compliment each other perfectly. The amp is bright and aggressive while the cab rolls of harsh upper midrange and pushes the vocal mids forward.
The overall tone from this combination of amp and cab are what I wanted to recreate. Given that, it doesn't make sense to play the Metro-Plex through the old cab, since they are both notching upper midrange and pushing mids forward. Does that make sense?

I will make clips through various cabs though. I have Creamback H's on the way to try next.

george

George tell me how you like the creamback h75. I didn't like the regular creamback 65 hardly at all.
Way too loose and indistinct

tone?

Post by tone? » Sun Dec 07, 2014 4:24 am

Damn the more i listen to that the more i love it.

Sounds great!

Is that a PPIMV style master you have on there?

wasnt too keen on the FET though.

VelvetGeorge
Site Owner

Post by VelvetGeorge » Mon Dec 08, 2014 9:02 am

I tried everything under the Sun to make the PPI MV's work in this amp, but the typical MV was better. So I'm using Mil spec pots and some tweaks to make it sound great at any volume.

The FET circuit got some tweaks and I think will have treble and bass trimmers on the PC board. I put those on the pre production amp and they worked well.

george
Check out Plexi Replicas for my personal amp builds...

harddriver

Post by harddriver » Tue Dec 09, 2014 2:50 pm

Amp sounds really good George!!! I agree about your conclusions with the PPIMV. With my own iterations of the PPIMV I feel the feedback circuit functioning 100% intact is vital to a good sounding plexi or other amp style for sure IMHO.

Keep up the outstanding design work there George! :worthy: