First Amp Build - Advice Needed!! ('68 Super Lead)

Share your home builds, knock offs and ground up customs.
ODGreen27
Just the numbers in order: 13492

First Amp Build - Advice Needed!! ('68 Super Lead)

Post by ODGreen27 » Sat Apr 04, 2015 3:48 am

I've decided that I'm going to build my first amp. I've always wanted to build a plexi-style amp and will never stop regretting not picking up a metro kit when they were available! After doing a lot of research I think that I am going to go with a Ceriatone kit and upgrade a few parts as needed. If I could afford one of George's 12,000 series replicas I would love to, but without his kits being offered I think the Ceriatone with upgrades may be my best affordable option. I've spent weeks researching the various years of the Super Lead circuit and this video of the Metro 12,000 series really sold me on wanting to do a '68 Super Lead!

My question is: I have never built an amp before. Would a '68 Super Lead be a tough first build? I love researching this stuff, enjoy a challenge, and want an amp that is "mine" but at the same time I don't want to get in over my head. With school wrapping up for good in August I'll have some more free time to put into a project like this. I've modded my '57 Tweed Deluxe and have experience soldering but do not have so much experience in terms of measuring voltages and what not.

Also, would you recommend I order the Ceriatone kit without the transformers and use either the Drake or Dagnall transformers from Metro? If so, which do you prefer? I'll be doing lots of research but I wanted to post this in hopes of hearing from others who also did their first build on a plexi-style circuit and could give some insight!

Thanks!

ODGreen27

Re: First Amp Build - Advice Needed!! ('68 Super Lead)

Post by ODGreen27 » Sat Apr 04, 2015 10:09 am

I just discovered the Valve Storm site and think I am going to go that direction instead of Ceriatone to order parts and build a 12,000 series. I also found forum member Night Owl's build guide for the 12k series which looks very helpful! I'm going to continue researching and searching the forum and appreciate any advice!

VelvetGeorge
Site Owner

Post by VelvetGeorge » Sat Apr 04, 2015 10:12 am

You can order Metroamp spec transformers directly from Heyboer. Valvestorm will have most of you other parts.

Check out the full amp layouts posted here also. And visit amparchives.com too.

Good luck, have fun!

George
Check out Plexi Replicas for my personal amp builds...

danman

Post by danman » Sat Apr 04, 2015 10:55 am

You can definitely do it! Do your research first, and don't get in a hurry. The wiring and lead dress must be done like the layouts and instructions show if you want a quiet and dependable amp. Too many people get in a hurry and make mistakes which can be very frustrating to track down later. If you are worried about taking the voltage readings, be sure to get yourself a set of clips for your meter leads so that you don't have to reach into a live amp for every measurement. I also vote for Valvestorm! Great parts, prices and service and you can work from the instructions and layouts here.

ODGreen27

Post by ODGreen27 » Tue Apr 07, 2015 1:18 pm

Thank you for the replies so far! I plan on starting this in August as that's when I will have more time available, so until than I'm going to research and gather parts! I contacted Brian H and he no longer makes his turret boards. Do the boards from Valve Storm come complete with the turrets like Brian's did?

ValveStorm
Supporting Advertiser
Just the numbers in order: 7

Post by ValveStorm » Tue Apr 07, 2015 4:37 pm

The build checklist for the 12 series is here:
http://valvestorm.com/12xxx%20Series

I can build boards using the red swirl material and any sort of eyelets or turrets you want. Materials other than red swirl may be available in the next few months.

The boards I regularly sell look like these:

I can also make them fully perfed like this:

I think the tall eyelets like you see on the boards above are easy to work with, but I can make them with turrets too. Turrets cost more than eyelets, so the price would be a bit more.
ValveStorm.comParts, parts parts!

ODGreen27

Post by ODGreen27 » Tue Apr 07, 2015 4:45 pm

ValveStorm wrote:The build checklist for the 12 series is here:
http://valvestorm.com/12xxx%20Series

I can build boards using the red swirl material and any sort of eyelets or turrets you want. Materials other than red swirl may be available in the next few months.

The boards I regularly sell look like these:

I can also make them fully perfed like this:

I think the tall eyelets like you see on the boards above are easy to work with, but I can make them with turrets too. Turrets cost more than eyelets, so the price would be a bit more.
Awesome, thank you! If the eyelets are easier than I will most likely go with that. I used the Valve Storm site to check the build parts check list. Is there any quality difference between eyelet and turret? Or is one just easier to work with?

ODGreen27

Post by ODGreen27 » Tue Apr 07, 2015 6:32 pm

I found a turret board on eBay priced reasonably, but I have a few questions regarding it. Valve Storm, I'm not ruling out your product by any means, just researching my other options! I used Brian H's board as my "standard" as his turret boards seem to be liked by many of the forum members in various build threads. When comparing the board on eBay to that of Brian H's, there seems to be a few differences. I've circled the differences in the following pictures:

Brian H's Board

eBay Board

Will these differences prevent me from building a 12,000 series the same way I would on one of Valve Storm's boards? This is my first build so I don't want anything that is going to throw me off when compared to other's builds using either Valve Storm's or Brian H's boards because I will definitely be referencing their pictures and build journals!

neikeel

Post by neikeel » Thu Apr 09, 2015 2:22 am

If you are a first time builder I suggest you go with a fully perforated board like the bottom one from Valvestorm. The nicest version was the one from BrianH, he no longer builds them and has no plans. I would be interested to se what valve storm has planned.
I used to make my own boards but then went with BrianH (he could make and ship them as cheap as I could buy the board and turrets!).
From a technology point of view the red swirl material will be much longer lasting and less likely to absorb moisture and become conductive like some paxolin boards do in a damp atmosphere.
When you build I strongly suggest you put the interconnecting bus wires on top of the board and loop your wires that go of the board up through the adjacent holes (like the 69 SL amps). It makes testing and trouble shooting much easier. The taller split turrets were used by Marshall up to 68 but both styles are pretty easy to use.
The valve storm/metro option is a much more authentic build c/w Ceriatone but in their own way the Ceriatone and other options are not bad.
If you are after a high quality keeper amp then I suggest Valvestorm/Metro with the self lead 1998 Dagnall OT. People say the ****** OT of same spec is very good but it is more expensive and I have found his business dealings for UK people a bit flaky, as has another longstanding and upright (i.e. honest) board member in the UK. In the US you might be fine :what:
Neil

ODGreen27

Post by ODGreen27 » Tue Apr 14, 2015 11:19 pm

neikeel wrote:If you are a first time builder I suggest you go with a fully perforated board like the bottom one from Valvestorm. The nicest version was the one from BrianH, he no longer builds them and has no plans. I would be interested to se what valve storm has planned.
I used to make my own boards but then went with BrianH (he could make and ship them as cheap as I could buy the board and turrets!).
From a technology point of view the red swirl material will be much longer lasting and less likely to absorb moisture and become conductive like some paxolin boards do in a damp atmosphere.
When you build I strongly suggest you put the interconnecting bus wires on top of the board and loop your wires that go of the board up through the adjacent holes (like the 69 SL amps). It makes testing and trouble shooting much easier. The taller split turrets were used by Marshall up to 68 but both styles are pretty easy to use.
The valve storm/metro option is a much more authentic build c/w Ceriatone but in their own way the Ceriatone and other options are not bad.
If you are after a high quality keeper amp then I suggest Valvestorm/Metro with the self lead 1998 Dagnall OT. People say the ****** OT of same spec is very good but it is more expensive and I have found his business dealings for UK people a bit flaky, as has another longstanding and upright (i.e. honest) board member in the UK. In the US you might be fine :what:
Very cool, thank you for the great info! I will take your advice and go with Valve Storm, as well as follow your wiring advice! This place is a wealth of information! :worthy: