No voltage reading on v1-v3?

Share your home builds, knock offs and ground up customs.
endofall
Just the numbers in order: 13492

No voltage reading on v1-v3?

Post by endofall » Sun Jan 09, 2022 12:33 pm

Hello everyone, I have finished building a 100 watt super lead following the metro amps build guide. I built this with a mojotone kit and used caps/resistors from valvestorm. The amp works, powers up, passes sound etc. I get correct voltages across v4-v7, bias is good etc. However when I go to check the voltages on the preamp tubes it does not read, I either get zero or extremely low readings. I’m new to this and kind of at a loss, can someone help point me in the right direction or help give me tips? Thanks.

Brandon

danman
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Re: No voltage reading on v1-v3?

Post by danman » Sun Jan 09, 2022 6:00 pm

Does the amp work properly? If the amp is working properly, it's probably just an issue with the meter probes not getting a good reading on the tube pins. In some cases, there can be a layer of flux residue that prevents your meter leads from making a solid contact. It helps to have very sharp tips on your leads or even small clips that attach to your leads and grab onto the pin. My meter will often give me a false reading unless I'm using the clips with my meter.

https://www.digikey.com/en/products/det ... a0QAvD_BwE

If your amp does not sound correct then you may have a wiring issue that we could try and help fix.