Good source for photo resistors?

Share your home builds, knock offs and ground up customs.
rjgtr

Good source for photo resistors?

Post by rjgtr » Fri Nov 26, 2004 2:32 pm

Does anyone know a good source of Photo resistors? Does George have them?

Ampwares has a good price but I've never done business with them. Are they good to deal with?

I'm building a little 5watt amp with a Marshall style preamp and I'm going to have a footswitchable tube boost. I'd rather use Photo resistors than just a relay to keep things quiet.

I got the chasis and some parts from WeberVST and got some other stuff from George. And yes it will have soZos from George!
Richard Johnson

Playing an instrument doesn't make you a Musician ... Listening does...

Flames1950

Post by Flames1950 » Fri Nov 26, 2004 11:59 pm

Ampwares is VERY hit-or-miss servicewise. Some guys get their stuff pretty quick, some guys wait for months.
I waited for months. For a silverface Bandmaster baffle. After weeks of no one answering their phone (or e-mail) I finally got a human on the phone, and it still took three more calls to get it. One of those calls I had to take measurements of the baffle for them.
After five months of waiting, it showed up......the wrong size. I had to take off the grille cloth and run it through the jointer to trim it down so it would fit.
I'd just say NO.

VelvetGeorge
Site Owner
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Post by VelvetGeorge » Tue Nov 30, 2004 1:43 am

I like Mouser for electronic parts but you have to know exactly what you want.

I don't have any in stock, but I can look for some.

George
Check out Plexi Replicas for my personal amp builds...

flemingmras
Just the numbers in order: 7

Post by flemingmras » Tue Nov 30, 2004 4:40 am

I JUST thought of something!!!

Mojo Musical Supply makes their version of the LDR(optocoupler) used in the Fender vibrato circuit. I wonder how well this would work for your purpose.

Check out their website at http://www.mojotone.com

Jon
There's just that fine line between stupid and clever - Nigel Tufnel

rjgtr

Post by rjgtr » Tue Nov 30, 2004 10:40 am

Yeh, I get stuff from Mouser, but I'm not sure what would cross. I'm going to look at a few schematics and see if I can figure out a sub I can get from Mouser. I might also just wimp out and use a relay to start with.

BTW, I've got the amp up and running with a switch for activating the boost, but I need to tame the power supply. It is giving me just a bit too much voltage! The amp sounds stiff and it is too high for the 6V6. I'm going to change a few resistors to brown it down a little.

Once I've got that going I'm going to move to a two channel design basically adding a separate tone stack for the normal and boost modes. Waiting on the next set of soZos for that. At least George is making a little money on me! And I've also thought about hooking up an extra output tube socket in parallel for switching to an EL84. Where will it all end! :lol:

This thing is too easy to mod! What have I gotten myself into! :shock: :lol:
Richard Johnson

Playing an instrument doesn't make you a Musician ... Listening does...