Tube depot jtm45+

Share your home builds, knock offs and ground up customs.
Rattler
Just the numbers in order: 7

Tube depot jtm45+

Post by Rattler » Wed Jul 18, 2012 2:47 pm

Can anyone giver opinions on this amp kit

http://tubedepot.com/kit-jtm45plus-head.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thnks

axeman

Re: Tube depot jtm45+

Post by axeman » Thu Jul 19, 2012 1:35 am

Yah they come from Mojo. I wouldn't buy anything from them. Tube Depot that is.

Rattler

Post by Rattler » Thu Jul 19, 2012 6:12 am

thanks man

Rattler

Post by Rattler » Thu Jul 19, 2012 1:14 pm

This is really a nice kit. Here's what I received from tube depot

Joe,

My name is Robert Hull and I'm the Director of Technical Services here at TubeDepot.com.  I reviewed your email and I believe I can offer some assistance.

We only sell two MOJO kits, the 4X10 Bassman and the Deluxe Reverb.  The other guitar amp kits (Tweed Champ, Tweed Deluxe, 18W and JTM45+) are our designs.  We purchase the tolex covered cabinets and chassis from MOJO.  The transformers are either from Classic Tone or are Heyboer transformers (via MOJO).

The JTM45+ kit uses Classic Tone transformers.  There is a Heyboer transformer option if you wanted to use 6L6 / KT66 / 5881 tubes.

toner

Post by toner » Thu Jul 19, 2012 4:10 pm

I have no experience with that kit or Tube Depot but a couple of things bother me after a quick look: $800 and you still have to drill and stake the turret board yourself. ???; metal film and metal oxide resistors are not exactly known for "vintage" tone.

It may make a decent amp but if you can spend a little more and are willing to source the parts yourself, you'll be better off in the long run.

axeman

Post by axeman » Thu Jul 19, 2012 5:18 pm

Rattler wrote:This is really a nice kit. Here's what I received from tube depot

Joe,

My name is Robert Hull and I'm the Director of Technical Services here at TubeDepot.com.  I reviewed your email and I believe I can offer some assistance.

We only sell two MOJO kits, the 4X10 Bassman and the Deluxe Reverb.  The other guitar amp kits (Tweed Champ, Tweed Deluxe, 18W and JTM45+) are our designs.  We purchase the tolex covered cabinets and chassis from MOJO.  The transformers are either from Classic Tone or are Heyboer transformers (via MOJO).

The JTM45+ kit uses Classic Tone transformers.  There is a Heyboer transformer option if you wanted to use 6L6 / KT66 / 5881 tubes.

Because you are new to the forum, 1st you should buy a chassiss from Metro, also you will find everything you need here to build a very nice era correct amp. 2nd you’ll get the many years of experienced members who will help you build it. More and more time I see newbie’s spam for other co. It's an unwritten rule that one of your amps be a Metro build, ask anyone.

Rattler

Post by Rattler » Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:13 am

Last edited by Rattler on Fri Dec 07, 2012 6:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SteadyEddie

Post by SteadyEddie » Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:20 am

I enjoyed building my Ceriatone plexi clone. My next build will probably be a jtm45, also ceriatone.

Rattler

Post by Rattler » Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:47 am

I built a R**T*66 clone and have just gotten tired of it, it's not the tone i'm looking for. I'll now be gutting it and converting over to a jtm45/plexi sorta combo. I'm able to use the big stuff I already have

Haze13
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Post by Haze13 » Thu Dec 06, 2012 3:56 pm

I bought the parts from Tube Depot for JCM800 2204 build and I like the way it sounds... Mil Spec metal film resistor, just because they have a good price for them. Classic tone OT and mojotone PT and Choke. Sozo caps, 22 AWG PVC wire, belton sockets...
If you have an opportunity to buy a better Out Put tranny, then I suggest to do it, because the price that they have for Classic tone is too high... 45$ is the price on the Classic tone site and 80$ on tube depot...
Make some research and you can save some money, don't buy every thing from TubeDepot. Don't waste the money on the parts that don't effect the tone! Maybe it's not fitting for "era correct" stuff, but it can save your money with the same result! Parts like: cathode bypass caps, fork turrets, silver wire, gold tube sockets, etc... don't worth the effort, but quality pots (better than ALPHA), 2-3 watts B+ resistors, caps in signal chain - are!

axeman

Post by axeman » Thu Dec 06, 2012 5:42 pm

Rattler wrote:What a ridiculous response. You know for a fact I'm spamming for this company? I have to first buy a metroamp chassis and then the rest of the parts becuase of some unwritten rule? Please. I don't think most members of this forum would be so close minded.. BTW metroamp isn't selling kits anymore anyway.

STFU

Rattler

Post by Rattler » Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:21 pm

Haze13 wrote:I bought the parts from Tube Depot for JCM800 2204 build and I like the way it sounds... Mil Spec metal film resistor, just because they have a good price for them. Classic tone OT and mojotone PT and Choke. Sozo caps, 22 AWG PVC wire, belton sockets...
If you have an opportunity to buy a better Out Put tranny, then I suggest to do it, because the price that they have for Classic tone is too high... 45$ is the price on the Classic tone site and 80$ on tube depot...
Make some research and you can save some money, don't buy every thing from TubeDepot. Don't waste the money on the parts that don't effect the tone! Maybe it's not fitting for "era correct" stuff, but it can save your money with the same result! Parts like: cathode bypass caps, fork turrets, silver wire, gold tube sockets, etc... don't worth the effort, but quality pots (better than ALPHA), 2-3 watts B+ resistors, caps in signal chain - are!

I already have most parts from my current build, heyboer trannies and jtm45 chassis.....it'll cost me about 180.00 to do the conversion to the jtm45+. Thanks

Rattler

Post by Rattler » Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:21 pm

axeman wrote:
Rattler wrote:What a ridiculous response. You know for a fact I'm spamming for this company? I have to first buy a metroamp chassis and then the rest of the parts becuase of some unwritten rule? Please. I don't think most members of this forum would be so close minded.. BTW metroamp isn't selling kits anymore anyway.

STFU

Maybe I misread the tone of your response. If i did I apologize.

axeman

Post by axeman » Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:39 pm

:) :wink: :thumbsup:

fixer2
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Post by fixer2 » Sun Oct 04, 2015 8:29 pm

So did you ever get the kit from tube depot and if so did you build it and did it work right or did you have to straighten it out .I just finished a tube depot jtm 45 plus head kit kit and it does not work I am getting too high of voltage on turrets 36 coming off of V3.And when I plug into it I get no sound at all. I have called tube depot like 17 times and alway get there answering machine ,I have talk to some one one time and they said they dont know they are down a tech right now that was two months ago.Iam getting alot of help here on this form which is realy great thanks I just want to get my kit going and play it.So if you or any body has inside pictures of atube depot jtm 45 plus head kit build I would like to see them I think it would help me too.Thanks