50w 68 Plexi Build

Share your home builds, knock offs and ground up customs.
kdmay
Just the numbers in order: 7

50w 68 Plexi Build

Post by kdmay » Sat Mar 08, 2014 8:21 am

After building and regrettably selling my a number of Marshall style amps over the years, I decided that I must have a Plexi in my collection. And this one won’t be sold!!

I love 50 watters, not just for the more useable volume (cough, cough, this is a loud mofo!!), but there is something special about the way they interact vs. 100 watters with their imposing tone.

The circuit I’ve selected is bone stock 68 specs. As you guys know, this was somewhat of a transitional era and the 1st gain stage did alternate between 2.7k and 820r, both with 0.68uf bypass cap. I like the later, which is a bit warmer but I am going to try the more classic late 60s / 70s 2.7k spec at some point.

I’ve used mustard and Sozo larger value caps throughout, and since the photo below the output PI couplers have been replaced with mustards also and the PI input cap 22nf. The only exception is the Polysytrene 1st bright coupler, which I love for the clarity. I am getting pressure to deck this out with a full set of mustards (!), so I will be keeping an eye on the market for some in the 2.2n and 22n values.

The only significant departure from the stock specs is the use of a better (electrically) grounding scheme (thanks Larry!), as the originals can be noisy and use less than ideal grounding.

Finally, for the lower values I have elected to use a combination of Polysytrene, Polyester and Paper in Oil caps as opposed to the original ceramic caps. To me, they sound a little clearer and smoother, but still retaining that classic Plexi kerrang.

The Power Transformer and Choke are Marstrans and hit the voltage mark perfectly. I wanted something in the low 430vdc range and this is 432vdc - exactly what Brian said. The Output Transformer is a Mercury Magnetics. I was a little torn by this, as I had a Heyboer Drake clone, but I’ve heard this particular Merc OT in action and loved the upper mid range clarity and punch. I was not disappointed. Mercury make benchmark quality iron (and charge for it too!). I would have no reservations using anything of theirs in the future.

The chassis is also one of Brian's from Marstrans and the most of the other components are from ValveStorm, with the exception of the headshell which is Mojotone who produce the best cabinetry out there IMO.

A big shout out to Mike Hausler (page 361), who sold me the headshell and rear panel, but was kind enough to allow me to drop ship the ValveStorm order for me to save on shipping costs. Being in Australia, the tyranny of distance means shipping is hideous!

It sounds exactly like a good Plexi should: fat, punchy and that familiar upper mid range grind. Set clean (at around 1-2 on the dial), it’s a punchy and clear tone that cuts through. Cranking from 2-3 and you get that classic edge of breakup tone which is spectacular with a Strat. Cranking further and you have the rock sweet spot between 4-7. Playing with the guitar’s volume knob and using a good booster, and the tones are incredibly versatile. Pushing beyond 7 and it’s entering bouncy compressed EVH territory.

A great setting I’ve found which many Plexi lovers in the know use is to dime the Middle and Treble, roll back the Presence to just under half, set the bass between 2-4 and have the Volume to taste - I love that 4-7 range here.

There is something to be said for the simplicity of 2 gain stages and no channel switching, toggle switches etc. Clear, open and punchy. I love it!

She’s decked out with a full set of NOS preamp tubes. Older =C= power tubes didn't last long, and it's the 4th set that have died on me. Not doing that anymore. The Svet EL34s in there now sound great. The photos were taken with 6CA7s as the testing tubes. The preamp has a Telefunken in V1 and V3, and a Tungstram in V2. These NOS preamp tubes have a touch less gain than their modern counterparts, but so much more clarity and openness.

Overall, I’m very happy. Still getting to know her and relish every tone opportunity to crank it un-attenuated.

neikeel

Re: 50w 68 Plexi Build

Post by neikeel » Sat Mar 08, 2014 8:32 am

Excellent, everyone should have one, or two or three or...... :oops:
Neil

Haze13
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Post by Haze13 » Sat Mar 08, 2014 8:44 am

Is that a Russian Paper in oil K40y-9 (470pf probably )? :)
Very nice build by the way!

kdmay

Post by kdmay » Sat Mar 08, 2014 12:15 pm

Haze13 wrote:Is that a Russian Paper in oil K40y-9 (470pf probably )? :)
:thumbsup:
neikeel wrote:Excellent, everyone should have one, or two or three or...... :oops:
Thanks Neil, your builds have been an inspiration!

Colossal

Post by Colossal » Sun Mar 09, 2014 7:30 am

Beautifully done.

Pressed_Rat

Post by Pressed_Rat » Sun Mar 16, 2014 4:42 am

I just dig 4-hole Marshalls, and this one Sir is an absolute beauty! Rock on! :rock:

kdmay

Post by kdmay » Sun Mar 16, 2014 8:20 am

Colossal wrote:Beautifully done.
Thanks Dave!!

Got some quality time with her Friday night and cranked it. Volume on half, treble and mids pushed, bass and presence to taste and it is awesome. Boost and mild OD kicks her along.

But the biggest thing was the wet/dry setup. I used to run this setup a while back with a Matrix power amp. Sold it, silly move. Now I am back on that train. You simple cannot compare when you go back to just dry.
Pressed_Rat wrote:I just dig 4-hole Marshalls, and this one Sir is an absolute beauty! Rock on! :rock:
Thanks mate, I can't go past 4 holers too!! I am now thinking of a 50w Super Bass build. I should really stop....!!!

rgorke

Post by rgorke » Tue Mar 18, 2014 11:56 am

Yes, very nice. Where did you get the board?
"If you make a mistake, do it twice and smile and let people think you meant it." Jan Van Halen.

kdmay

Post by kdmay » Tue Mar 18, 2014 8:10 pm

rgorke wrote:Yes, very nice. Where did you get the board?
Thanks.

Board is from Modulus in the UK

Scumback Speakers
Supporting Advertiser

Post by Scumback Speakers » Tue Mar 18, 2014 8:24 pm

WTH...did you get inspired to do this over a gutfull of lasagna two years ago or what? :lol:

Looks good Kurt!
Scumback Speakers - Kick Ass Vintage Tone
sales@scumbackspeakers.com
http://www.scumbackspeakers.com
310-833-6632

kdmay

Post by kdmay » Tue Mar 18, 2014 8:32 pm

Scumback Speakers wrote:WTH...did you get inspired to do this over a gutfull of lasagna two years ago or what? :lol:

Looks good Kurt!
Absolutely!!

Still pumping it through the BM/H mix. Sounds killer.

So, what's the currently tally of vintage Marshall goodness? I need to tell my wife so she gets off my back!

:)

AndyK

Post by AndyK » Thu May 22, 2014 2:50 pm

Sweet!

Where did you get the JMP front and rear panels??

kdmay

Post by kdmay » Fri May 23, 2014 8:23 pm

AndyK wrote:Sweet!

Thanks!!

I bought them from a member on here, but I understand he bought them from Valvestorm

AndyK

Post by AndyK » Tue May 27, 2014 11:12 am

kdmay wrote:

Thanks!!

I bought them from a member on here, but I understand he bought them from Valvestorm
I'd be surprised if Valvestorm sells panels that say JMP or "Built by Jim Marshall products" !?

neikeel

Post by neikeel » Tue May 27, 2014 12:58 pm

AndyK wrote:
kdmay wrote:

Thanks!!

I'd be surprised if Valvestorm sells panels that say JMP or "Built by Jim Marshall products" !?
:whistle:
Neil