My new JTM45

Share your home builds, knock offs and ground up customs.
wombat
Just the numbers in order: 13492

My new JTM45

Post by wombat » Sat Jul 25, 2015 6:16 am

Hello Forumites

Here's my first amp build - a JTM45 to 1965 specs (well, as close as I could, anyway).

After getting a feel for the time and effort that was going to be involved, I decided to give it the NOS treatment as best I could. That approach has it's pros and cons as I found out. It's extremely satisfying once it all comes together, but having to scour the Earth for unobtanium is a looooong and frustrating exercise. Another unforeseen consequence of the a la carte approach is that you can't just follow George's excellent instruction manual "paint-by-numbers" style (that's something that other noobs who might be considering the same approach might want to keep in mind). :) I actually had to understand what the wires in the original-spec transformers did which required a lot of extra research (but at the end of the day that's a good thing). :) Original spec trannies and NOS power tubes also mean the test voltages are going to be different from those in George's instructions (it seems George spec'd slightly lower rated trannies in his kits to cater for modern-day power tubes which don't have the power handling of old glass). No biggie though if you can get access to the test voltages from the original Marshall schematics which can be found in the back of Michael Doyle's "History of Marshall" book.

I eventually managed to cobble together a full compliment of Piher and Allen Bradley resistors, Mustard tone caps, and Radiospares silver micas, which found a home on a brown paxolin board that I drilled and turreted. The silver mica on the high treble pot is a temporary measure - it will be removed and used on my next build (a JMP50).

The glassware is all NOS GEC KT66s and Mullard ecc83s and gz34.

I used M e r r e n Drake replica OT and PT, and a ClassicTone 3H choke that was as close to the originals as I could get.

The faceplate is supposedly an old replica of a 1965 JTM45. Naturally, the holes didn't quite line up with the holes on the Valvestorm chassis so I cut the front of the chassis off and had a new front fabricated and welded on. Soon after that, the Sparky faceplates became readily available on Valvestorm - DOH!!!! :palm:

The head and speaker cabinets were made by Jeff Swanson and in a word they are simply stunning! I went with the Series II 2 x 12 extension cabinet just for something different as it has a really cool vintage vibe. The speaker cab is Jeff's open/closed back convertible design for maximum versatility.

I asked Jeff to use EC Collins grill cloth on the speaker cab. That stuff really is a dead-ringer for the original Marshall pinstripe cloth (and nothing like the repro stuff that Marshall uses on their re-issues these days).

Hiding inside are a pair of Scumback M75 paper voice coil speakers to approximate as closely as possible the Celestions that Marshall would have used in back in 1965.

I know my lead-dress is not quite up to par with some of the amazing examples I've seen on this forum, but all in all, I'm pretty happy with how the amp turned out given that I had never even picked up a soldering iron prior to this. And aside from a couple of minor issues, it pretty much worked first go.

So on that note, I have to say a big thank you to everyone on this forum for providing such and incredibly valuable source of information without which this amp never would have been possible.
chassis_front.jpg
chassis_front.jpg (177.97 KiB) Viewed 1653 times
chassis_back.jpg
chassis_back.jpg (204.47 KiB) Viewed 1653 times
Attachments
chassis_guts.jpg
chassis_guts.jpg (249.26 KiB) Viewed 1653 times

wombat

Re: My new JTM45

Post by wombat » Sat Jul 25, 2015 6:20 am

....and the cabinet
Attachments
cabinet_back.jpg
cabinet_back.jpg (264.79 KiB) Viewed 1652 times
cabinet_front.jpg
cabinet_front.jpg (247.36 KiB) Viewed 1652 times

Froumy

Post by Froumy » Sat Jul 25, 2015 12:14 pm

Nice work! Great first build. You enjoying her?

neikeel

Post by neikeel » Sat Jul 25, 2015 12:34 pm

Looks excellent!

Hard to believe your first build, are you pleased with how it sounds?

:thumbsup:
Neil

danman

Post by danman » Sat Jul 25, 2015 3:41 pm

Congratulations...Great looking build! Got any sound clips?

Froumy

Post by Froumy » Sat Jul 25, 2015 7:01 pm

65 Watt on the PVC's? Or the 20 Watt fire starters? Been thinking about both for that amp, love to hear it!

wombat

Post by wombat » Sun Jul 26, 2015 4:25 am

Thanks Guys!

I wasn't fishing for compliments when I posted this - my intention was to say thank you to everyone on this forum for fantastic information sharing and outstanding community spirit that goes on here. I'm not kidding when I say that this build would probably never have happened for me if it wasn't for the wealth of knowledge that is generously shared here on a daily basis.

But I do appreciate all of your kind words!

In terms of how it sounds, it still has some breaking in to do. It's still a bit stiff but keeps getting better every time I play it and I keep discovering something cool about whenever I plug it in.

It might sound strange but the first thing that struck me was how quiet it was (in terms of noise). I was expecting to pick up every radio station and have to put up with all sorts of hum (particularly as I put no special effort into shielding it from noise when I put it together - to be honest I was just going to be happy if it worked). :) But it's as quiet as any decent amp I've ever played through - even at high volumes.

The cleans are really lovely (and is great for any pedal that you can put in front of the amp). In my opinion, when you wind it up it breaks up into a really cool Fender Bassman-like "growl" (rather than a Mashall-like "crunch") which I am absolutely digging at the moment!

The closest comparison I can think of to an album people might be familiar with is sound on the Jimi Hendrix "Blues" compilation (ie mostly clean and just nudging a nice "grind").

Most people associate the quintessential "Marshall" sound with EL34s and low-wattage Greenbacks. I love the fact this rig has got that Marshall sound (but with a bit of a difference). I'd say it's largely to do with the combination of KT66s plus the less-common older style PVC speakers. I would even say the EC Collins cloth adds it's own element to the mix given how dense and rubbery the stuff is (I'd be really surprised if it didn't have at least some effect on on the higher frequencies - like throwing a heavy blanket over your speakers).

Personally, I play Les Pauls most of the time, but this amp usually has me reaching for the Strat (the single coils seem to compliment the bass-heavy circuit nicely).

It came as a bit of a surprise, but it really works well for old-school 60s surf guitar as well (which is one of my little guilty pleasures). :)

wombat

Post by wombat » Sun Jul 26, 2015 4:40 am

To Froumy regarding the question about the speakers - it's got the 65 watt PVCs in it.

If you haven't purchased Scumback speakers before, Jim from Scumback will probably quiz you about everything to do with your amp and playing habits and he'll make sure you don't go down the wrong track with your speaker choice. He's a fantastic guy and an absolute wealth of information!

For example, I was pretty intent on getting a pair of 20 watters, wired in series, at 16 Ohm to stay as close to the original amps of that era as possible. I do like using Fuzz pedals though and Jim kindly pointed out that doing so with this particular amp would have nudged a pair of 20 watt PVCs over their safe limit. Jim helped me see the light and I went with the 65 watt versions wired in parallel at 8 Ohm.

Froumy

Post by Froumy » Sun Jul 26, 2015 9:51 pm

Thanks for clarifying. Yepp. Have some scummies. Was hoping you were getting away with the 20 watt firestarters - and they didn't catch fire. I want 20's in there as well, but it's not the best idea.

FWIW, The 45 is my go to clean amp.(strat player) Took out my mid, and gain boosts, for distortion. With a tube reverb, she blows my Twin out of the water. (Surf all day long, if that's your pleasure : :wink: )

wombat

Post by wombat » Mon Jul 27, 2015 4:20 am

I think it depends on how you want to use it.

My understanding from speaking to Jim was that if I was just going to use the JTM45 on it's own then two 20 watters would probably be ok.

However, adding a boost to the equation would basically take the speakers to the edge.

Then if I were to throw in my Big Muff as well on top of that then it would be time to break out the marshmallows.