My new build ,high volyage readings

Share your home builds, knock offs and ground up customs.
fixer2
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Re: My new build ,high volyage readings

Post by fixer2 » Wed Dec 21, 2022 8:35 am

Yes that makes sense make a kit or two more then try making a high gain amp on my own thank you for the advice

fixer2

Post by fixer2 » Wed Dec 21, 2022 2:36 pm

I just checked out that c3 amp kit wow that’s a very nice sounding amp I would be interested in doing a 25 or 50 watt version and run the 50 into my attenuator but I’m going to try something more basic first and less expensive . This forum is a wealth of information

danman

Post by danman » Wed Dec 21, 2022 6:38 pm

I would check out Ceriatone. They have a bunch of hot rodded Marshall circuits to choose from and their kits are very economical. It would be hard to buy all of the parts separately for less than the cost of their kit. I built their Son of Yeti amp last year which is a higher gain, "Jose" style Marshall circuit with 6v6 power tubes. They also offer the Yeti with EL34's if you want more power. They have many other circuits to choose from if the "Jose" sound isn't what your after.

fixer2

Post by fixer2 » Fri Dec 23, 2022 10:03 am

How is the quality of the parts , what brand of transformers are they using that is the thing I’m interested in making amps that are no longer available or ones that are unique and have things different from what they make or that are available to us like the Jose mod amp that you just made sound like something I would like to build like the custom amps that Steve Via or Eddie , or George Lynch something special because I already have like 6 amps and I have the one you helped me get going years ago my jtm45 clone and I got a kit from Stew Mac years ago for a JCM800 that I plan on doing soon I did also get almost all the parts to do a metro amp the master volume 100 that’s the one I to make like a Steve Via modded Marshall that he used in the late 80 Peter thorn has a great video on this amp this Jose mod . I will look into the amp that you built and hopefully there quality is good

danman

Post by danman » Fri Dec 23, 2022 7:55 pm

I purchased my own parts to build the Son of Yet circuit. Ceriatone does supply quality parts though and everyone speaks highly of his kits. I have built amps with both expensive boutique parts and run of the mill parts and they all turn out great. I use to spend extra money on fancy capacitors and whatnot but these days I just use standard, easily available and affordable parts in my builds. The one thing that is worth investing in is a quality output transformer and even then you can only hear the difference when you are able to play at full volume.

If you want to learn more about the different high gain amps, join up over at the "Rig Talk" forum. That is one of the best places to learn more about all of those amps. The "Marshall Forum" is also a great place to learn more about Marshall's.

fixer2

Post by fixer2 » Tue Dec 27, 2022 8:33 am

Once again thank you for letting me know and thank you for sharing your experiences and thoughts . I will definitely check in on those forms thanks

fixer2

Post by fixer2 » Tue Jan 03, 2023 9:28 am

I looked into the son of yeti and wow what amazing sounding amp I watch a YouTube video on that amp that’s what I’m looking to make . Is this a pcb or a turret board build and does it come with good instructions or just a layout

danman

Post by danman » Tue Jan 03, 2023 6:31 pm

I'm pretty sure their kit is turret board build but you could always email Nik at Ceriatone and ask him directly. I purchased my own parts and built mine from his layout. He doesn't offer instructions unfortunately. The layout is available on the website. Just click on Son of Yeti and you will see the link at the bottom of the page for the layout.

fixer2

Post by fixer2 » Fri Mar 31, 2023 4:53 pm

By the way I got my 5e3 clone working Dan thank you again for your help and also referring me to the other form too

danman

Post by danman » Fri Mar 31, 2023 7:44 pm

Great news!