New Build: Mojo British 100

Share your home builds, knock offs and ground up customs.
LedZepp007
Just the numbers in order: 13492

New Build: Mojo British 100

Post by LedZepp007 » Wed Oct 14, 2015 8:44 am

Hi all,

(I will preface this by saying that if Metro still sold kits that I would have purchased one. I have nothing but the highest respect for this site and for George).

I am embarking on my first real project: a Mojotone British 100 kit that I am building into a Mojo Bluesbreaker cab. I am completed some pedals in the past and have hacked around in some amps (and generally done a terrible job, I might add). However, I have read quite a bit and worked hard to improve my soldering technique. I felt like I was ready to try a kit without instructions.

I felt like, in order to really create a keeper, I would need to document the build where those who are in the know could critique. Would this be okay to do here?

So, I have received the kit. Looks good, parts are well organized. Board looks good. The layout provided is minimal. I already have some questions about grounding points and which bolts to use where. It looks like Mojo expects 6-32 bolts to hold the massive power and output transformers. I'll probably go to Home Depot and get some 8-32 bolts instead and use nylon lock washers.

In terms of grounding, I was thinking of the following:

1) Using a ground buss on the back of the pots with a grounding point near the inputs
2) Having a power amp grounding point on a lug on one of the power transformer bolts
3) Drilling a small hole near the IEC inlet for a dedicated grounding point.
4) Grounding the output jack to a lug on one of the bolts securing the closest filter cap can

Suggestions?

I had also strongly considered using the Metro build guide, but my sense is that Mojo's layout and George's layout are a bit different in terms of grounding, etc.

Irritatingly, the choke I sourced (3H) doesn't quite fit in the pre drilled chassis holes, so I'll have to enlarge those. Hopefully it is the right choke.

Finally, I am planning on utilizing a LarMar style PPIMV on this amp. I already sourced the parts, but I may have a problem with where to locate it. Since this will be a combo, I would strongly prefer the dual pot to be located on the front of the amp. I considered using the Normal/Low input jack hole, but it seems like that might lead to noise. Opinions?

Oh my goodness, this post just keeps going on. Thanks for your patience. Last thing:

I'm not sure whether I want to build the lead circuit or the bass circuit. Every bass circuit I've ever heard sounds fantastic. However some lead circuits can sound even better. Unfortunately, some of the lead circuits are very ice picky (especially with certain guitars). I have the parts to build either circuit. Anybody have any opinions?

Thank you so much!