Plexi distortion sounds like "hash"

Share your home builds, knock offs and ground up customs.
Doug H

Re: Plexi distortion sounds like "hash"

Post by Doug H » Sat Nov 14, 2015 11:27 pm

Ok, I'll second the notion. I consider myself paranoid about output iron and don't want to infect others or lead them down the garden path, but since Neikeel had the stones to call it, I will add that in my limited experience I could hear some wimpy OT in those clips as well.

I sort of asked before, but was there a suspicious event where you may have put some signal through without a load?

sonofmickel

Re: Plexi distortion sounds like "hash"

Post by sonofmickel » Mon Nov 23, 2015 2:59 am

This happened a year ago: one of the guys in the band kids were at the studio and they "borrowed" the speaker cable for their gig without telling anyone. I had the amp on for 10-20 minutes and then trouble shooting 5-10 minutes more before I found out the amp was missing the speaker cable.
I subsequently rebuilt the amp. I guess it sounded ok but who knows.

I will try some new diodes first.

Edit:
I replaced some of the components(elytics, mica caps, resistors) because they were getting mangled from reusing them on many re-builds. The amp sounds much better. Maybe I have "bad" parts being supplied to me by the parts store? Is that possible? I have a mix of two places where I have bought all of my bits. Could they have sent me bad elytic caps and other low end, or past their storage time(born on date for caps?).

I also rebuilt another amp into another JCM800 build with some parts that I bought from a surplus store(Vishay Dale resistors and NOS CC resistors) and some brand new Mallory coupling caps and it sounds closer than ever to what I think it should sound like. Transformers are Classictone 50 watt plexi OT and a donut PT, no choke. Sounds sooo close but still lacking "kerraaang" tones.

I have tried other Marshall amps into my cabs and they have the "kerraang" I so desire. Yet the amps I build do sound "good" now, and I sound "original" using pedals for lead tones. The Plexi build into the Low/low input sounds great with a Bogner Blue pedal into it. I even run a Vox DelayLab into the front with great results. Maybe I just need to dump my whole lot of parts and start with "fresh" components.

Thanks for all the help everyone.