18w Superlite IIb build considerations.

Share your home builds, knock offs and ground up customs.
viniciusvalenca
Just the numbers in order: 13492

18w Superlite IIb build considerations.

Post by viniciusvalenca » Wed Aug 31, 2016 7:53 pm

Hi there!

I just built a 18w pretty much like a Superlite IIb (from guitaramplifierpcbs.com).. point-to-point, little mods (not drastic mods, just few different component values).

The amp sounds nice already... but I noticed that I never can get it muted... I mean even if I set all the controls down to zero I still have some volume going on.. it's a low volume, but it's noticeable.

Another thing is bothering me is the fact that it sounds really great when the master volume is cranked all the way up (which is what we expect from a guitar tube amp)... a real thick sound it delivers... but if I set the MV like 12:00, I can't get nothing but a buzzy/thin tone... lots of body goes away.

Is that normal to expect from this kind of project?

http://el34world.com/Forum/index.php?ac ... tach=59526

Thanks!

ivan H
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Re: 18w Superlite IIb build considerations.

Post by ivan H » Thu Sep 01, 2016 8:52 pm

Hi, yes that is normal, especially with a pre phase inverter type master volume. A good bit of that classic power stage distortion sound comes from overdriving the phase inverter (along with the power tubes). You could try adding a PPIMV (post phase inverter master volume). This would allow you to limit the drive to the power tubes somewhat & turn up the existing master somewhat to thinken things up. Hope this helps. Cheers