dynaco a-441 / laney 60w supergroup build

Share your home builds, knock offs and ground up customs.
crumb

dynaco a-441 / laney 60w supergroup build

Post by crumb » Sun Dec 09, 2018 1:56 am

hello

After watching Johan Segeborn feature a laney 60w supergroup amp, i want to make one for myself.
The clean on that thing is ridiculous.

I have a dynaco a-441 o/t ( I actually have four or five of these monsters , an a-450..a couple of a-451's and a Sunn 2000s with a a-451? in there) and a spare 425-0-425 @ 250ma power xformer too as well as a good stash of old mustard caps. I know the el-34 are gonna struggle, and I'm hoping some el34 jj will hold, maybe lower the screens if the stock levels are over 350-400v.

The question I have is, Does anyone know the frequency response of that laney o/t..its a partridge tg9686.
The dynaco has a published wide response...4hz to 60(!) khz ..and to my ear pretty flat too when ive substituted them in normalish plate voltage builds.

Are these partridge xformers flat too? I'm guessing they're stupidly hi-fi as well ( as these dynacos ), so maybe I'm onto a winner here without having to wait for one of these o/t to appear on ebay.

thanks in advance

awangotango
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Re: dynaco a-441 / laney 60w supergroup build

Post by awangotango » Fri Apr 12, 2019 8:24 pm

its a worthy project. Sunn trannies can sound fine. and likely similar to Lany/pratridge....if you dont like it just swap the Ot for a marshall clone and you'll have a mre familair marshall so its not like there's tons of risk to try...I use laney AOR trannies in plexi circuit and its interesting to hear how much an output tranny really does do to the sound. they dont call the OT the heart of the amp for nothing......with sunn trannies though they where designed for 2 gain stage applications and different circtuits than marhsll or laney so only trying will tell you if it jives with the circuit you end up choosing...i say go for it. escpecially if you like the hifi tranny influence...i dont but many do.