Looking to build a seriously hot rodded 2 channel 2204...could use some tips

Share your home builds, knock offs and ground up customs.
TommyShameless
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Looking to build a seriously hot rodded 2 channel 2204...could use some tips

Post by TommyShameless » Sun Jul 05, 2020 2:06 pm

Hey all! It's been a hot minute since I've posted on here. I built 2 of the Metro kits back in the day - a 69 100 watt clone, and a 67/68 100 watt clone. I've since had both modded into Pandoras by David Hopkins. Seriously sick amps!

It's led to me getting the itch to build again, and also to really try to learn and understand the functionality of these things. I want to do another build, and also understand how it works, rather than just follow the Metro instructions. I'd also like to never have another amp be at the mercy of FedEx or UPS ever again! :lol:

David was suggesting I do a 2204. I dig this idea, and I'd like to get a little wild with it. Here's some of the things I'd like to incorporate:

• An actual switchable clean channel, with separate dedicated EQ
• Keep the filtering as low as possible, to make it as chewy, saggy, and bloomy as possible. I've experienced super tight, immediate amps, and it is definitely not my thing
• Metro loop
• Added preamp tube for an additional gain stage
• Pre-phase inverter master volume
• Switchable clipping circuitry
• Virtual variac (for moar sag)
• Resonance knob

Here's some other stuff I'd like to look into and understand better, not only to learn more about in general, but also maybe to incorporate into this build:
• Elevated heaters
• Star grounding
• Tube rectifier?
• Cascaded gain stage

Honestly, I'm open to all kinds of crazy stuff. I have no aversion to adding extra tubes, or any number of additional pots and switches. I can easily design front and back faceplates. And I'm a graphic designer / production artist by trade, so I could map out even the most complicated layout before even ordering parts. Anyone have any tips they can share on any of this stuff? The switchable clean channel with a dedicated EQ is of serious interest to me. I'd love a gorgeous Fender clean, and then be able to switch over to a massive, saturated hot rodded Marshall sound. I suspect I need to figure this out first, and that's the jumping off point to add all the other candy.

TommyShameless

Re: Looking to build a seriously hot rodded 2 channel 2204...could use some tips

Post by TommyShameless » Sun Jul 05, 2020 2:23 pm

I also wonder if I should be looking at a BE-50 layout, studying that, and modifying to taste...any thoughts on such a thing?

danman

Re: Looking to build a seriously hot rodded 2 channel 2204...could use some tips

Post by danman » Sun Jul 05, 2020 6:30 pm

I was also looking to build something similar last year when I ran across this fella at another forum. Several members their had used his pcb and layouts to build some very nice amps so I decided to take a chance. I ended up ordering the Friedman Mini board from him and doing his full feature Friedman JJ jr. I also purchased his loop board which is based on the Metro loop. I was very happy with the quality of the boards, and the bom & layouts that he included were very thorough. It does take a bit of building experience to put one of these together but the final product is very nice.

https://headfirstamplification.com/

wdelaney72

Post by wdelaney72 » Tue Jul 07, 2020 3:01 pm

https://www.facebook.com/DelaneyAmpsGui ... =3&theater

Half Marshall 1987 (Channel 1), Half Soldano SLO (Channel 2).....it's the most practical gigging amp I have. it covers anything. The SLO channel is just the lead circuit...I don't even get the gain knob past 3.

They SLO layout can be found at the SLOCLONE forum.
http://www.slocloneforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=6724

Channel switching....I just used what's in the Marshall 2555 Jubilee. Split after V1 .022 cap and then rejoin before the .022 cap going into the PI. I have separate tone controls for each channel, so it requires a full 100W chassis to fit it all.
Walter

"There's no great thing in being a soloist. I think the hardest thing is to play together with a lot of people, and do it right." - Angus Young, 1984