Parkhead mod on the Bass pot?

Share your home builds, knock offs and ground up customs.
Elad E
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Parkhead mod on the Bass pot?

Post by Elad E » Sun Mar 21, 2021 12:02 pm

A recurring theme when comparing old amps to new builds has been the effect old pots impart on tonal differences with the 1 Meg pots seeming to be a prominent contender so I wondered if anyone around here ever tried soldering a 470K resistor on the Bass pot as well to "correct" the sweep?

danman

Re: Parkhead mod on the Bass pot?

Post by danman » Sun Mar 21, 2021 6:41 pm

I remember reading awhile back that pots found in some of the better sounding, older amps would read higher than their listed spec. Soldering a resistor across the pot would serve to lower the overall value of the pot while soldering a resistor in series would raise the value. Which method are you asking about?

Elad E

Post by Elad E » Mon Mar 22, 2021 8:32 am

I'm talking about putting the resistor between the wiper and the rightmost lug of the volume pots (viewed from the back).
I reckon this shouldn't affect the value of the pot in any way but rather change its taper.

danman

Post by danman » Mon Mar 22, 2021 7:01 pm

I imagine that it would change the taper but I have no firsthand experience with that mod. It seems to me that the signal would choose the path of lowest resistance and go through the resistor instead of through the pot itself. I'll have to try it sometime.

mark

Post by mark » Wed Feb 22, 2023 6:36 am

Putting a resistor from the wiper to one extreme of the pot affects taper and the overall value.

When the pot is turned in one direction the resistor is effectively shorted out, when turned in the other direction the resistor is in parallel with the pot.

https://www.amplifiedparts.com/tech-art ... nteractive

Regards

Mark