210w

Share your home builds, knock offs and ground up customs.
metjallica1

210w

Post by metjallica1 » Thu Dec 23, 2004 11:42 am

Hello again. Well, I guess I won't be using a Hot Plate after all. I didn't realize that they can only handle up to 180w. That sucks! Does anyone have any other suggestions? Thanks![/url]

Necrovore
Just the numbers in order: 7

Post by Necrovore » Thu Dec 23, 2004 12:32 pm

Maybe a post phase inverter mastervolume? Marshall Powerbrake?

VelvetGeorge
Site Owner
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Post by VelvetGeorge » Thu Dec 23, 2004 12:57 pm

I'm thinking second opinion on the actual clean output. Not to second guess. But that just seems highly unlikely within the parameters of the kit. Regardless of OT.

With the primary impedance of the OT and the 1 amp fuse on the high voltage line, the voltage on the plates of the tubes to produce 210 watts would need to be sky high. Yet, we know it's under 500.
And the PT is only rated for 500mA on the B+ winding.

A more likely rating is between 90-110 watts clean and peaks of 140-150 fully saturated. Again, I'm not trying to deny your tech's findings. But maybe something was overlooked or miscalculated. Just a thought.

George
Check out Plexi Replicas for my personal amp builds...

Country Boy Shane

Re: 210w

Post by Country Boy Shane » Thu Dec 23, 2004 1:07 pm

metjallica1 wrote:Hello again. Well, I guess I won't be using a Hot Plate after all. I didn't realize that they can only handle up to 180w. That sucks! Does anyone have any other suggestions? Thanks![/url]
I assumed in your last post you somehow got it back around to 100watts to use the Hot Plate... guess not! But you still have a unique beast on your hands that'll have people running for cover in the clubs. ROCK ON!
Just Feel it MAN! -Shane Gorski "Country Boy Shane"

www.flickr.com/photos/shanegorski

Billy Batz

Post by Billy Batz » Thu Dec 23, 2004 9:24 pm

Wow! 210 watts. George makes a good point. Not that 4 EL34s couldnt push 200+ watts but it seems strange that you could buy a Marshall transformer made for 4 tubes capable of supplying that much power. Thats like a Major you have their. The headroom must be crazy. One thing you could try is to run one power soak on each output. One as a load and the other as a soak to the cab. You can email Andy Marshall about it. Hes very helpful. Majors arent meant to see one cab. I would make sure that assesment is correct first. Marshalls are so damn loud its impossable to tell if its 200 watts loud unless youve just unplugged from a 100 watter. Even a 50 watter would be so jarringly loud its difficult to say just by ear.

white room

Post by white room » Sat Jan 01, 2005 11:18 pm

I mean no dissrespect but....210 watts???

How is that happening?

I thought the 100 watt SL's pushed out ~180 to 190 watts at full tilt.

I ask this question only because I want to know if this is possible and (hopefully) learn something I didn't know before.

VelvetGeorge
Site Owner
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Post by VelvetGeorge » Sun Jan 02, 2005 5:12 am

When we talk about watts, we have to specify how many under certain parameters. For example, you always see amps rated for XXX watts into YY ohms, RMS at ZZZ % THD.

Guitar amps aren't as concerned with total harmonic distortion (that's what we like) and the OT makes the load constant. So we normally simplify it to XXX watts RMS and call it good.

But there is still a large gap between the clean output rating and the fully saturated rating. A typical 100 watt Marshall can produce 90 watts RMS of clean output. Meaning no crossover distortion visable on a scope.
Driven into overdrive, that same amp could produce 150 watts RMS. With momentary peaks even higher yet.

In this case, it's just not possible to be producing 210 watts RMS at any distortion factor, because of three factors.

The impedance of the OT primary winding: 1.7K.
The voltage on the plates of the output tubes: approx 490.
And the current available from the PT, limited by the 1 amp fuse.

Do you know what method your tech used to measure the output? It should be with a scope, signal generator and dummy load.

George
Check out Plexi Replicas for my personal amp builds...