New Guy Here

Everyday chat. No political or religious discussions.

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, BUG

marshallkiller91
Just the numbers in order: 13492

New Guy Here

Post by marshallkiller91 » Sat Oct 26, 2013 10:01 pm

Hey Y'all,

Long time guitar restorer/pedal modder looking to gain some insight to the wonderful world of amps.

I'm a total fish out of water when it comes to amps but I'm looking to learn and any insight is much appreciated. I want to cover the basics (tubes, filter caps etc.) and eventually move on to things like effects loops, depths mods etc.

Thanks!

-Domenic

stef
Just the numbers in order: 7

Re: New Guy Here

Post by stef » Sun Oct 27, 2013 1:13 pm

:toast:

NY Chief
Wiki Editor

Post by NY Chief » Sun Oct 27, 2013 3:12 pm

Welcome aboard!!

It's died down a lot here since George had to stop selling kits ( couldn't make it profitable ). Best way to get into it is build a kit. There are others around but none as complete and well instructed as George's Metro kits were. I knew NOTHING and now some at least SOMETHING after building a few. Still a HUGE trove of info here, though and lots of smart guys!
NY Chief 5-0, transplanted in SoCal

"Book 'em, Dan-o!"

marshallkiller91

Post by marshallkiller91 » Wed Oct 30, 2013 3:31 pm

NY Chief wrote:Welcome aboard!!

It's died down a lot here since George had to stop selling kits ( couldn't make it profitable ). Best way to get into it is build a kit. There are others around but none as complete and well instructed as George's Metro kits were. I knew NOTHING and now some at least SOMETHING after building a few. Still a HUGE trove of info here, though and lots of smart guys!
Thanks for the welcome!

I wish he still did as the Metro kit is still referenced as the end all be all kit build. I have some minor electronics knowledge in terms of amps. I know the difference between caps, resistors etc and I've built pedals etc.

I actually plan on building an SLO clone and modding it out.

Janglin_Jack

Post by Janglin_Jack » Wed Oct 30, 2013 4:14 pm

+1 on getting a kit. I found the Torres book helpful on learing stuff about amps. Gerald Weber has some helpful books, too. The Kevin O'Connor The Ultimate Tone books are a wealth of knowledge.

This forum is full of awesome amp builders that are all willing to help. Choose a kit and get started!

Mike

marshallkiller91

Post by marshallkiller91 » Wed Oct 30, 2013 4:21 pm

Janglin_Jack wrote:+1 on getting a kit. I found the Torres book helpful on learing stuff about amps. Gerald Weber has some helpful books, too. The Kevin O'Connor The Ultimate Tone books are a wealth of knowledge.

This forum is full of awesome amp builders that are all willing to help. Choose a kit and get started!

Mike
I've actually been looking into the books by O'Conner and Weber's Hip Guide To Vintage Amps. One book that seems fun is the Michael Thompson book Great Tubes Amps and Guitar Mods.

Just checked out Valvestorm as well. I've always wanted to build a 12,000 series.

mightymike

Post by mightymike » Wed Oct 30, 2013 4:42 pm

That would be a great start. You can still download the kit instructions here, and buy all the parts at Valstrom. Metro Spec Tranny like that were in the kit are at Heyboer.. Then post your progress in the 12000 forum and the guys here will love watching the progress, and be there if you need help.

Welcome..

Just be warned.. It's addictive

marshallkiller91

Post by marshallkiller91 » Wed Oct 30, 2013 5:36 pm

mightymike wrote:That would be a great start. You can still download the kit instructions here, and buy all the parts at Valstrom. Metro Spec Tranny like that were in the kit are at Heyboer.. Then post your progress in the 12000 forum and the guys here will love watching the progress, and be there if you need help.

Welcome..

I appreciate the response man.

I'm constantly tweaking and modding things. Most of the pedals on my board are modded as is my guitar. I'm already looking at the Virtual Variac schematic among others things. I plan on using a different style impedance switch (rotary) as i like the build quality. Going to be a 2203 circuit in a 68' shell. Jose style master maybe and I'm adding an effects loop and a 1/2 power switch.

I also plan on incorporating a depth mod and a three way brightness switch.

NY Chief
Wiki Editor

Post by NY Chief » Thu Oct 31, 2013 12:03 pm

marshallkiller91 wrote:
mightymike wrote:That would be a great start. You can still download the kit instructions here, and buy all the parts at Valstrom. Metro Spec Tranny like that were in the kit are at Heyboer.. Then post your progress in the 12000 forum and the guys here will love watching the progress, and be there if you need help.

Welcome..

I'm constantly tweaking and modding things. Most of the pedals on my board are modded as is my guitar. I'm already looking at the Virtual Variac schematic among others things. I plan on using a different style impedance switch (rotary) as i like the build quality. Going to be a 2203 circuit in a 68' shell. Jose style master maybe and I'm adding an effects loop and a 1/2 power switch.

LOVE your enthusiasm. Like mm said be careful, it is addiciting! Word of advice, build a complete stock layout first, get it running hten do the mods. Much easier for initial troubleshooting, just my 2c.
NY Chief 5-0, transplanted in SoCal

"Book 'em, Dan-o!"

marshallkiller91

Post by marshallkiller91 » Thu Oct 31, 2013 5:12 pm

NY Chief wrote:
marshallkiller91 wrote:

Welcome..

LOVE your enthusiasm. Like mm said be careful, it is addiciting! Word of advice, build a complete stock layout first, get it running hten do the mods. Much easier for initial troubleshooting, just my 2c.
That's what I was going to do most likely.

I sent my amp to Dave F. last year and while I love my modded 71' (It slays about everything it's gone up against) I love a stock Plexi full tilt with a boost in front of it.

In fact, I just played a healthy 77' JMP that was never modded (outside of a 6550/EL34 conversion) and it sounded so fat and good.

I'm most likely going to keep the amp stock for a good while.

mckey

Post by mckey » Tue Jan 07, 2014 12:20 pm

I luckily found this board today. Hope I can learn many things from here..So need yours help Please.