How about a high gain amp kit?

Product sales, customer service, and announcements.

Moderator: VelvetGeorge

joshwilson3

Post by joshwilson3 » Thu Jan 19, 2006 3:24 pm

Bainzy wrote:There's no reason why it shouldn't work with a Master Volume. I think the best amp to get for doing this mod is a 2205 or 2210, as you can take out the stock circuit board and put a 2203/4 board in. That will leave you with a spare preamp tube (as those 2205/2210's had 4 preamp tubes), so there's no drilling to be done.
Do you wire it up the same on a 2203 as in your schematic of this mod on the 1959?

And where exactly does this extra gain stage enter in at? Would it be considered V3 and the phase inverter turns in to V4? I'm just trying to figure out if V1 stays the same as that is where I would put my NOS tube at.

Bainzy
Just the numbers in order: 7

Post by Bainzy » Fri Jan 20, 2006 12:20 pm

I put it after V1 and before V2 on a 1959 - find that spot on a 2203. Put your NOS tube in V1 as that will still be the first gain stage (and second aswell on a 2203 isn't it?). I like to call the new tube V0, as I put it furthest away from the power tubes.
"I want to know what happened to the plans they sent you"

Shred Guitar
Plexi Mods - now with new forum, please join!

killertone

Post by killertone » Thu Jan 26, 2006 4:34 pm

Bainzy wrote:There's no reason why it shouldn't work with a Master Volume. I think the best amp to get for doing this mod is a 2205 or 2210, as you can take out the stock circuit board and put a 2203/4 board in. That will leave you with a spare preamp tube (as those 2205/2210's had 4 preamp tubes), so there's no drilling to be done.
Doesn't the FX loop throw off the installation of the 2203 board? Also, the reverb as well?

I have 2 2205's and would mod one but don't wanna lose the fx loop. I could care less about the reverb, I just don't want to be too confused during the install!! :lol:

Billy Batz

Post by Billy Batz » Thu Jan 26, 2006 4:54 pm

No you coudl do it easily you just have to know how.

neikeel

Re:

Post by neikeel » Thu Jan 21, 2010 10:13 am

VelvetGeorge wrote:I wish it were so simple.
Please understand that any change to the chassis requires a complete run to be stamped. At (50) pieces that's $2K plus.
Panels are also made in runs, so a new panel will have a setup and art fee. And a run of typically (30) sets or more. Well over $1k.
I could even have those little covers stamped. But I would have to buy 1,000 pieces.
If I'm going to commit to something, I have to know there will be some return on the investment. I hope you understand.
Using the JTM 45 kit as an example: I spent over $12k prototyping, sourcing, stocking parts ect. Now I have sold (9) kits at $950 each.
George
Found this whilst looking for the correct size front panel cut out on a Super trem (for extra tube and two extra knobs (a SIR#39) replica - I think!

How many JTM45 kits have you sold now George :P

I still think a Supertrem front panel/chassis (and modded head cab) would be a good idea. :wink:
Neil

MacGaden
Wiki Editor
Just the numbers in order: 7

Re: Re:

Post by MacGaden » Thu Jan 21, 2010 3:07 pm

neikeel wrote:
VelvetGeorge wrote:I wish it were so simple.
Please understand that any change to the chassis requires a complete run to be stamped. At (50) pieces that's $2K plus.
Panels are also made in runs, so a new panel will have a setup and art fee. And a run of typically (30) sets or more. Well over $1k.
I could even have those little covers stamped. But I would have to buy 1,000 pieces.
If I'm going to commit to something, I have to know there will be some return on the investment. I hope you understand.
Using the JTM 45 kit as an example: I spent over $12k prototyping, sourcing, stocking parts ect. Now I have sold (9) kits at $950 each.
George
Found this whilst looking for the correct size front panel cut out on a Super trem (for extra tube and two extra knobs (a SIR#39) replica - I think!

How many JTM45 kits have you sold now George :P

I still think a Supertrem front panel/chassis (and modded head cab) would be a good idea. :wink:
Have you noticed the panel on a BluesBreaker from Ceriatone ?

MacG.

"Play it right, Dad ! No More Dwiddely Dwiddely !
My son Adam at 3 years old. Best advice I ever got..

neikeel

Re: How about a high gain amp kit?

Post by neikeel » Thu Jan 21, 2010 5:49 pm

I have one in the post to me now for $29USD inc shipping as of Tuesday:wink: .

Nik is almost as helpful as George although there is just something more authentic and detailed about the Metro stuff that appeals to me, particularly the new restoration parts. I would recommend Nik's stuff to anyone on a budget. 8)
Neil