50w plexi vs 2204 (I’m confused)

New here? Need help? Don't know where to post? Post here.

Moderator: VelvetGeorge

neikeel

Re: 50w plexi vs 2204 (I’m confused)

Post by neikeel » Mon Feb 04, 2019 8:31 am

I found the PPIMV redundant, so only needed one pot with DPDT switching

I use these switches from TAD in Germany. They are very tightly linked with MOJO so might be worth trying?

https://www.tubeampdoctor.com/en/shop_P ... rvolume_29
Neil

danman
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Post by danman » Tue Feb 05, 2019 7:23 pm

This type of switched pot always works well for me but unfortunately this seller does not have any 1m values. Maybe try Mouser or Digikey...https://theartoftone.com/cts-500k-push- ... tolerance/

Explorerman

Post by Explorerman » Wed Feb 06, 2019 3:39 pm

I'll check them both out, however with shipping Australia it starts to get pricey. Still thinking I might use 2 x of the CTS with SPDP (on the 1987 bright vol and master vol) that VS have, I plan to use CTS pots on the amp.

I realize its controversial topic regarding resistor and capacitor types, but I read an article saying the only place to gain any benefit from carbon comp resistor it at v2 plate, is this right? Also, the layout has silver mica caps except for the bright cap which looks to be ceramic - is this correct?

neikeel

Post by neikeel » Wed Feb 06, 2019 4:51 pm

Explorerman wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 3:39 pm
I'll check them both out, however with shipping Australia it starts to get pricey. Still thinking I might use 2 x of the CTS with SPDP (on the 1987 bright vol and master vol) that VS have, I plan to use CTS pots on the amp.

I realize its controversial topic regarding resistor and capacitor types, but I read an article saying the only place to gain any benefit from carbon comp resistor it at v2 plate, is this right? Also, the layout has silver mica caps except for the bright cap which looks to be ceramic - is this correct?
I can send you a pot (postage is not too bad).
I use Pihers and generally avoid cc resistors unless like for like in a resto.
I also use RS silver micas and mustards (I pick them up here an there when I find good prices on them as my original stashes have run out).
Yes you are correct regarding kit specs.
The reason I use an extra pot is that I can set my plexi and my 2204 pots and switch between the two quite quickly for different tones (I have been too busy with other stuff to footswitch this one but the Granger optofet jack works well.
Neil

danman

Post by danman » Wed Feb 06, 2019 7:34 pm

I agree with Neikeel on the resistors. Carbon comps were rarely used in older Marshalls and will only add extra noise into the circuit. Marshall used carbon film Pihers in the early amps and then switch to Iskra carbon films. They are nice in a build but are pretty pricey these days if you do find a full set. I have always used the carbon films from Valvestorm but do like to use metal films for the 1m and 68k's on the input. The v1 grid leak and grid stopper resistors can add noise to the circuit so I like to use a quality metal film in those spots.

harleytech

Post by harleytech » Thu Feb 07, 2019 7:23 am

Not to hijack this thread , But I have used and use CC resistors as well as CF resistors in all my builds and I don't notice any unwanted noise at all... :scratch: All of my builds are quiet as a church mouse volume up or down... Just my 2cents.. :whistle: :thumbsup:

Explorerman

Post by Explorerman » Sat Feb 09, 2019 9:16 pm

neikeel wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 4:51 pm
Explorerman wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 3:39 pm

I can send you a pot (postage is not too bad).
I use Pihers and generally avoid cc resistors unless like for like in a resto.
I also use RS silver micas and mustards (I pick them up here an there when I find good prices on them as my original stashes have run out).
Yes you are correct regarding kit specs.
The reason I use an extra pot is that I can set my plexi and my 2204 pots and switch between the two quite quickly for different tones (I have been too busy with other stuff to footswitch this one but the Granger optofet jack works well.
Neikeel, I sent you a PM regarding the pot, but looks like its stuck in my outbox, I can't seem to work out why it won't send...