Soldano Custom Amplification RIP

Completed amps from Fender, Orange, Hiwatt, Vox, etc.

Moderator: VelvetGeorge

MrBeasty
Just the numbers in order: 7

Soldano Custom Amplification RIP

Post by MrBeasty » Mon Aug 27, 2018 2:36 pm

I don't know if this really belongs here, I am freaking out a little ... Soldano is going out of business.
From what I understood Mike's building is being taken back (his lease is not being renewed). Since he has to vacate the premises, Mike decided to not reopen Soldano Custom Amplification.

Apparently he might be willing to continue if someone buys him out (aka takes care of the business while he just designs products) but otherwise, this is the end.

:shock:

kdmay
Just the numbers in order: 7

Re: Soldano Custom Amplification RIP

Post by kdmay » Mon Aug 27, 2018 4:28 pm

Slight correction from what I understand.

He owned the building and got an offer he couldn’t refuse. Probably felt it was time to down tools and enjoy life.

Sad but I hope the SLO dies with a strong legacy.

GilmourD
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Post by GilmourD » Tue Jan 01, 2019 2:15 am

Dunno if you guys are over on TheGearPage but apparently Mike's been winding down for a while and decided to enjoy his other pursuits in life while he still has time.

Also, it looks like Soldano will live on through B.A.D. which has heavy involvement from Dave Friedman, so it'll be in good hands.

awangotango

Post by awangotango » Fri Apr 12, 2019 8:02 pm

rip, mike was a good guy when i met him. hist tone is so exclusively preamp based though that it is limited use for various generes.it excelled at scorps , ratt etc but with all these preamp modelers, i can see it beign hard to compete with a traditional tube amp which basically only taps into the preamp for its gain and mojo. A full on tube amp needs to tap into PI and a bit of output tube action to really qualify as a classic tube amp.

AJW

Post by AJW » Fri Jan 31, 2020 3:53 pm

Mike was at NAMM with new and old designs being built by Boutique Amps Distribution. So it's not the same, but a new chapter whether good or bad.

wdelaney72

Post by wdelaney72 » Thu Feb 06, 2020 11:50 am

The Soldano SLO is a great circuit. i built a 2 channel version that had the SLO lead channel and use it pretty regularly. Yes, the pre-amp gain is very high, but a little roll off on the guitar volume knob tames it to a great rhythm channel.

Whatever Mr. Soldano is doing these days, I wish him well.
Walter

"There's no great thing in being a soloist. I think the hardest thing is to play together with a lot of people, and do it right." - Angus Young, 1984