Jimi Hendrix' Gear and Mods at West Coast Organ and Amp

His guitar slung across his back, his dusty boots is his cadillac.

Moderators: VelvetGeorge, BUG

masonbeckham
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Re: Jimi Hendrix' Gear and Mods at West Coast Organ and Amp

Post by masonbeckham » Thu Jan 09, 2020 2:05 am

Hello all, I’m very interested in the “West Coast Fuzz”. I have the Dunlop BOG fuzz and it’s “almost” there. Is there anyway to purchase one of these beauties? I have no knowledge to even begin attempting to build one of these, I’m just a guitar player :D

Thank you so much Dave and everyone for all of the wonderful information. Absolutely amazing!

daveweyer

Post by daveweyer » Sun Mar 01, 2020 1:06 am

Boy, everyone has left this baby to die. George says they are all on Facebook forums, the new place to do the same thing they used to do here.
Hmmm, could it be these old forums are the new version of now defunct city libraries?

FloPoeKo

Post by FloPoeKo » Sun Mar 01, 2020 3:11 am

I´m still here... :D

neikeel

Post by neikeel » Sun Mar 01, 2020 1:33 pm

Still here, still read and learn
I wasn't there at the time and I also think that tuning to the nth degree for Jimi's sound is difficult bearing in mind the spectrum of other tones I like.
Neil

Tazin

Post by Tazin » Mon Mar 02, 2020 10:02 am

daveweyer wrote:
Sun Mar 01, 2020 1:06 am
Boy, everyone has left this baby to die. George says they are all on Facebook forums, the new place to do the same thing they used to do here.
Hmmm, could it be these old forums are the new version of now defunct city libraries?
I'm still here too. I'm not crazy about Facebook page(s) since you don't get the division of catagories; everything is lumped together. It is probably easier for mobile device users though.

daveweyer

Post by daveweyer » Mon Mar 02, 2020 6:43 pm

I didn't want to keep posting unless someone was around to read it and maybe think about it. Xplorer held down the fort for years!

FloPoeKo

Post by FloPoeKo » Tue Mar 03, 2020 6:38 am

daveweyer wrote:
Mon Mar 02, 2020 6:43 pm
I didn't want to keep posting unless someone was around to read it and maybe think about it. Xplorer held down the fort for years!
So, we´ve covered amps, fuzzes, wah´s, FM´s...Any tech-stories on:

- the speaker cabs?
- the univibe?
- How did you guys back then deal with the germanium-temperature-issue?

shakti
Just the numbers in order: 7

Post by shakti » Thu Mar 12, 2020 4:05 pm

Still here, just not as regularly as before. Hendrix tone chase is currently focused on AYE, by restoring a ‘67 tall bottom cab complete with the super-rare 25W T1281 speakers. And Hiwatt builds/conversions.

I am all for any new experimentation and info regarding late period Hendrix tone though. Bring it on.
JTM45 RS OT, 1973 18W, JTM45/100, JTM50, JMP50 1986, JMP100 "West Coast", AC15, AC30, BF Super Reverb, Boogie Mk 1, Hiwatt CP103, DR103

RobertKosenius

Post by RobertKosenius » Fri Mar 13, 2020 7:17 pm

Hi! I decided to finally register and post something about this amazing thread. I first found this a few years ago and have checked it every now and then. I was anxious to get to hear the fuzz in action as I had been similarly captivated by those late 60s early 70s Hendrix live tones, as I guess most of the contributors to this thread must be.

I remembered reading a Guitar Player that had the previously mentioned article with mr Weyer quoted, so naturally I was beyond happy to see him actually showing up and being so open and generous with his time and knowledge.

It was funny but sad or maybe it actually is hilarious how worked up people got about the notching on the fret"incident" and couldnt really get over it and focus on all the other knowledge

I think the point people miss with that, anyway, is that one should not file all the way on top of the fret, just a tiny one will do at the front of the fret, so it can be hard to spot even if you know what to look for.

I learned this by acquiring an seventies Ibanez strat that had the notch filed by some previous owner. When I played the foxy lady intro note, I noticed the sound was louder and the string was sticking a little to the fret when applying vibrato. So I noticed the notch and after that it seemed that it could very well be the same on some of his guitars, like on monterey when he talks about playing but no sound coming after which he then raises the volume from the guitar to bring the note in.

I mentioned this theory to some people over the years and got some mixed reactions too, some almost as hostile 😄.

Anyway it was great when that all died down after some people left the conversation. I was hoping someone would finally build a fuzz like that, and it drove me desperate, waiting for it. After an eternity😄 people got theirs working and the wait was almost over. Then Shakti posted his recording and there it was , everything I had wanted to hear.

I had researched the tone and signal chains from those shows and read everything I could on forums, I loved my megavibe and was interested when the guy who produced it,was working with a notorioushendrixexperttypeofaguy named Carl Fiadino, from some of the other forums. KR (Kevin Randall) named it "The Fuzz" and marketed it with about the same information Dunlop would use to push their version some years later.

As it happens the two got into arguments with people on forums and with each other too, which is maybe why Carl did not mention his contribution.

I bought one before the mess from one of the few retailers of KR pedals(#13 as it happens). It is a great pedal but not that sound. So I have had my share of buying into the myth, so I managed to avoid the dunlop later.

so bouncing back to where I was going with all this, is that
I mentioned to my cousin, that I saw Teks boards for the weyer fuzz on ebay and he bought maybe the last two, around christmas.

He has ordered the parts needed and they have arrived and we are planning to get together and build them.
I am a bit anxious about how the values of the parts have drifted and if we can get too complete pedals and if we can manage to get even one working😅. we will,of course because my cousin is on it and he gets things done, where as often I fail to complete my projects ! Seriously, Huge thanks Markus! If and when you read this far.

Seriously though, I am really excited about it and have a hard time waiting to get to play it.

The amps are something I want to do also, later.
I would like to have a West Coast clone and am wondering
about parts sourcing etc. but also, I am interested in how to possibly modify my existing amps to produce similar sounds, and to learn more about the amps mr Weyer built after the hendrix amps.

Oh, also, I paint and had a large round board that I started painting a giant sized fuzz face, where I will put in place of the "arbiter england" text, something honoring dave as he is the unsung hero in this adventure.
The working title is something along The 50 year secret.

I will see if I can link instagram of it.
https://www.instagram.com/p/B7_fcX6B2Cp ... olofhmwewc

Also, I think someone should contact Josh at jhs pedals and suggest he gets in touch. I love his show and this would possibly be great for that or maybe even a collaboration to issue the pedal.

That was a lot because I have to compensate for not registering before and kind of rambling because I wrote on my phone and cant really see what I wrote🙂

A Big heartfelt thank you.

RobertKosenius

Post by RobertKosenius » Mon Mar 16, 2020 3:40 am

Hi, I posted a very long reply that was supposed to be under approval, this was on friday. So was there something I should change about it ?

Roe
Just the numbers in order: 7

Post by Roe » Mon Mar 16, 2020 3:58 am

I'm still here too (just finished an ac100/superchief/rocket 100).
http://www.myspace.com/20bonesband" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.myspace.com/prostitutes" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Super 100 amps: 1202-119 & 1202-84
JTM45 RS OT JTM50 JMP50 1959/2203/34/39

bill bokey

Post by bill bokey » Tue Mar 24, 2020 7:44 am

Still here too ! :rock:

Ned B

Post by Ned B » Sun Mar 29, 2020 10:47 pm

I wasn't feeling worthy to join this thread before getting through the 100+ pages. Well, I only got about halfway there, but I wanted to express what a great read it has been.

daveweyer

Post by daveweyer » Tue Mar 31, 2020 3:44 pm

Glad some of you are still around. It was a good forum, with lots of active participants and builders, just perfect for forensically reconstructing Jimi's tone from 69 and 70. I'm still working on some unfinished Jimi projects from those days, and hope to have some results in the next six months or so. These were ideas Jimi wanted to explore as a means to evolve his sound, sort of logical extensions of BOG tone and playing. I had schematics or partial schematics and notes in my old spiral notebook from West Coast Organ and Amp, and I reviewed those along with Jimi's comments in order to reconstruct what he intended to do and what I thought would work to get what he wanted.
We shall see I guess, but let's hope it's a, "really good scene man", as Jimi would often say.

cvh

Post by cvh » Sat May 09, 2020 11:50 pm

hey dave! (and others)

so i’m wanting to get this right before i start my build of a Jimi inspired 45/100 amp using your mods, but i’m still a little hazy on stuff values and placement...

original B+ voltage
560V using Drake 1202-43 PT

tubes:
6550 x 4 (idle bias at 25ma)
V1 12ax7
V2 12ax7 (bypass V2 with .68uf WIMA?)
V3 12at7 (is this a shared cathode circuit?)
(do i need to lower this voltage bias, as well?)
(how does the screen voltage drop to 530V)

bias supply grid resistors: 1 x 28.75K and 1 x 33K instead of 220K

change grid output resistors to 10K to 5K (not sure if i understand that correctly)

?2.2K 10W screen resistors on output screens or is it 470R mixer resistors? *i don’t understand this part*

tone stack:

33K/500pf

preamp filtering:
32+32uf in series (higher or no?)
10K resistor + 10K resistor between filter cans

phase inverter coupling caps:
100nf (.1uf?)
(is this different than the 32+32 preamp filtering?)

i’m clearly new to this but trying to get it all down so i can know what parts to get. a schematic would be ideal but oh well, not necessary. i’ll be following the Dickinson mod mostly but adopting these values.

what did i miss? am i close?