S.I.R. 100W SuperLead Schematic pt. II

Everything from original vintage Marshalls to reissues.

Moderator: VelvetGeorge

CoffeeTones
Just the numbers in order: 7

Re: S.I.R. 100W SuperLead Schematic pt. II

Post by CoffeeTones » Sat Jan 25, 2020 12:04 pm

Not being mean, but giving constructive criticism. That clip has piercing, grating highs, too much percussion on the notes. Painful to listen to. What have you done? What are the voltages and transformers? Is there a problem in the recording setup?

pauldavidson1991
Just the numbers in order: 13492

Post by pauldavidson1991 » Sat Jan 25, 2020 12:19 pm

Most likely a recording set up issue
Im a total novice in that department

also I think I over compensated when adjusting the tone stack
Before I had the mids and trebles a lot lower

My cheap head phones probably dont help either

I'll try making another recording after some recording reserch

Also, better to be truthful
If it sounds like shit and everyone says its good it will always sound like shit lol

pauldavidson1991

Post by pauldavidson1991 » Sat Jan 25, 2020 12:36 pm

Just swapped my old headphones out, I can hear it now

Thanks for letting me know

Hopefully try again soon

reychapa

Post by reychapa » Sat Jan 25, 2020 4:03 pm

1199rs

Post by 1199rs » Sat Feb 01, 2020 5:42 pm

Long time watcher of this thread and have been through a few variations of #39/#36 but never happy with the sound. I eventually just purchased an AFD100 to be done with it, but it didn’t really cut it for me. Didn’t sound right, don’t get me wrong it is one hell of an amp, really ballsy sound, power attenuation is an excellent feature and with the auto biasing swapping tubes around very quick and easy exercise. It was the hiss that did my head in, constant and excessive.
I recently built a new clone around a 2204 but with a 100w power transformer and 6 filter caps like a 1959slp. I changed the n.f.b resistor to 56k so as to function more like a 100w and dropped the b+ filtering down to dual 32/32uf on screens 32uf on P.I and 16uf for pre amp.
Also added 0.1uf to cathode of v2a and piggy backed another 470k to the voltage divider drain on v1b.
I decided then to add another stage after v1b this is 100k plate 8.2k cathode bypassed with 0.1uf i had a bit of oscillation which i tamed with a hot shield and 33k onto the grid of extra stage. This outputs into a 0.0022 uf 470k bypassed with a 500p cap into an a1m pot i had to add another 470k resistor to the leg of the cap before the pot to finally remove all oscillation.
I think it now sounds pretty close to what i hear on afd iso tracks.

If someone can advise best way to attach images and sound files I can add a circuit diagram sketch and audio

vanhalenzr

Post by vanhalenzr » Tue Mar 03, 2020 12:32 am

Hi, I'm a owner of a Bugera 1960 infinium (a Marshall 1959 SLP clone) could someone provide me with the correct schematic to perform the S.I.R. MOD 34 and 36? because it's hard for me to find the thread in 700 pages. I leave the schematic of my amplifier in case someone also has it and needs it, since I contacted the manufacturers to obtain it. Thanks to all !

blacklabel

Post by blacklabel » Sun Mar 29, 2020 3:37 am

I don't know if you remember, some time ago I asked you for informations about my mod # 34 that was made by a tech and it was wrong.
I had it done by another tech and it is the correct one, here you can hear something I recorded months ago:
settings in description

Unique

Post by Unique » Sun Mar 29, 2020 2:12 pm

That sounds pretty good, nice job!

bmwfreq

Post by bmwfreq » Mon Mar 30, 2020 6:29 am

I like the tone.

Do you have any details about the mod that was done to your amp? Was it exactly like the #34 mod that Santiago gave to us? Or were there some differences?

Your tone reminds me of the BRBS #34 mod tone. Which I’ve always liked.

Do you have any photos of the inside of your amp and the mod?? If so, would you send em to me please??? My email is bmwfreq64@gmail.com.

Thanks!!
1984 2203 JCM 800
(#34 mod)
1960AV 4x12
2x12 25 watt Greenbacks
2x12 Vintage 30's
[ ..... ]
| O O |
| O O |

blacklabel

Post by blacklabel » Tue Mar 31, 2020 4:44 am

Unique wrote:
Sun Mar 29, 2020 2:12 pm
These are my first recording tests, in shadow of your love I only added reverb in DAW, and delay on the solo (here I should have better adjusted the ms eheh), in the other videos there is only rev. I have not used any effects like boost/overdrive or compressor.

The master volume is at 8 because I use a 2x12 isobox, but I can say that at this volume the sound roars, it also changes compared to putting it at 6. Master 8 distorts a lot, it's really cool.

speakers that i used in these 3 recordings are v30 mesa and v30 marshall (only in the 8 min video) and the sound changes a lot. The mesa sounds more treble, while the marshall sounds fuller, I don't know why.

As you know, the position of the mic is important, just as if you use 2 sm57 together (I tried, but it's hard for me to have a better sound), I have placed 1 sm57 in the center of the cone, I remember reading that Mike Clink used 2 of them together in UYI recording.
Furthermore, I only use a simple Audient ID22, with neve style preamps the sound will acquire more color and depth, as soon as I can I will buy one (clone like Warm audio or GAP premier).
Last edited by blacklabel on Tue Mar 31, 2020 5:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

blacklabel

Post by blacklabel » Tue Mar 31, 2020 4:56 am

bmwfreq wrote:
Mon Mar 30, 2020 6:29 am
I like the tone.

Do you have any details about the mod that was done to your amp? Was it exactly like the #34 mod that Santiago gave to us? Or were there some differences?

Your tone reminds me of the BRBS #34 mod tone. Which I’ve always liked.

Do you have any photos of the inside of your amp and the mod?? If so, would you send em to me please??? My email is bmwfreq64@gmail.com.

Thanks!!
Yes, the mod is done by BRBS, but it is identical to the one you already know, in fact CoffeeTones had suggested to me what to change in my old wrong mod # 34 and they are the same changes made by BRBS.
in my mod the shield cable was wrong, the value of a resistance and a capacitor, things you already told me (Coffee and Unique).

It's possible that the sound of # 34 is only obtained at volume 8 with the gain set low, and that's what I did with the recordings you heard. I think nobody has been able to record to these volumes so far, so you haven't heard the true sound of #34. I risk burning my 2x v30s, but they are easily bought :lol:

Unique

Post by Unique » Tue Mar 31, 2020 8:55 am

blacklabel wrote:
Tue Mar 31, 2020 4:44 am
Unique wrote:
Sun Mar 29, 2020 2:12 pm
These are my first recording tests, in shadow of your love I only added reverb in DAW, and delay on the solo (here I should have better adjusted the ms eheh), in the other videos there is only rev. I have not used any effects like boost/overdrive or compressor.

The master volume is at 8 because I use a 2x12 isobox, but I can say that at this volume the sound roars, it also changes compared to putting it at 6. Master 8 distorts a lot, it's really cool.

speakers that i used in these 3 recordings are v30 mesa and v30 marshall (only in the 8 min video) and the sound changes a lot. The mesa sounds more treble, while the marshall sounds fuller, I don't know why.

As you know, the position of the mic is important, just as if you use 2 sm57 together (I tried, but it's hard for me to have a better sound), I have placed 1 sm57 in the center of the cone, I remember reading that Mike Clink used 2 of them together in UYI recording.
Furthermore, I only use a simple Audient ID22, with neve style preamps the sound will acquire more color and depth, as soon as I can I will buy one (clone like Warm audio or GAP premier).
I imagine the differences you hear between the two cabs is probably due to how the cabs were constructed, such as woods used, the glue used, dimensions, ect. This all plays a role in how the speakers will sound in the end.

As far as how Clink recorded Slash's tracks for UYI, in a book called "Behind The Glass," Clink stated that he used just one SM57, close mic'd, dead center for Slash's tracks. But what was not stated was if there were any room mics set up that would add some ambiance to the sound and give the amp a more fuller sound from a distance mixed in. But then again, that would depend if they recorded the rhythm tracks as a band. Which is probably what they did. So these would be mixed in with all of the other individually mic'd instruments if that is the case. I doubt there would be any room mics present in the overdubs. There could be, but it was not stated. Some engineers do this while others don't when recording overdubs. I think Slash mentioned in his book about recording overdubs by himself. But I don't recall him giving any technical specs as to how they were recorded.

When recording with two mics, you have to make sure they are equidistant from one another to avoid phasing issues. For example, if mic A is one inch away from the speaker, mic B either needs to be at the same distance, or double the distance of mic A. If not, you will get some phasing issues and they will cancel out some frequencies.

Your amp definitely sounds good and correct. It probably even sounds better in person. I think your reverb sounds good from what I can hear from a YouTube video. If you were playing with other instruments then your ms setting might be more revealing as to if it was set right or not. But with just your amp, it's good to go. Thanks for sharing your videos. I enjoy listening to the samples of the various mods when people post them.

blacklabel

Post by blacklabel » Tue Mar 31, 2020 9:33 am

In fact, to think you want to have the same results that were obtained by Mike Clink and the various tech or any other record, is madness :D

Probably the fact that only the sm57 has been used, this can facilitate the way of obtaining the slash sound in Spaghetti (V30), while that of UYI will be more complicated because of the greenbacks that I cannot use being of low vattage (however I have a Scumback M75 PVC 65w) and above all for that omnipresent feedback.

In fact, in UYI it seems that Slash has constant feedback and much more definition and cleanliness (this is obtained with the use of the hardware in studio). I don't remember what was the function of the Mesa in UYI, whether it was included in the recording or not, but I remember that Frank Levi talked about it.

I'm glad you liked it, I'll add more audio, I prefer not to add any backing track, so I can hear the sound of # 34 better.

Unique

Post by Unique » Tue Mar 31, 2020 12:34 pm

blacklabel wrote:
Tue Mar 31, 2020 9:33 am
In fact, to think you want to have the same results that were obtained by Mike Clink and the various tech or any other record, is madness :D
I don't know about that. A lot of mixing engineers, when they set down to mix a track for an album, will often use a track from another album they admire as a reference for the track they are about to mix. Are they trying to copy that albums sonic properties, mix style, or some other quality of it? Yes. Or at least get close, or maybe just use it for inspiration. It might even be one that the band they recorded requested themselves saying "We want to sound like this!"

The music business as a whole, just like guitar playing is a copy cat business. There's nothing wrong with trying to achieve a certain sound someone else has obtained. Isn't that why we all mod our amps? Or buy a certain amp, guitar, or pickups? We all get influenced somewhere at some point that drives us to going the extra mile.

To copy something exactly is probably not going to happen. That's not even done with Slash's own guitar sound throughout his various albums with #34. But the moment you hear #34 on an album you recognize it as #34, even when it's sound is slightly different due to whatever changed with the recording or mixing process, or to how he's using the amp (he often changes his settings for various songs and albums). So trying to copy something, such as modding an amp, to the point that when it is heard it will be recognized as the amp you are trying to copy is attainable. It's us, the individual, through our own talents, skills, and abilities, that add variations to the sound we are trying to copy. Whether it's how we perceive the sound or just the way we play a guitar that's probably going to influence the sound somewhat and that will make it slightly different. But even then, you can hear a recording of it and say, "That's it, that's the sound!" Whose to say that if Slash was to play your amp that it might just sound exactly like Slash playing his own #34?

So madness? Only when your struggling to reach your goal does it drive you mad. But if you think about it, the only real madness is probably assuming we all hear these sounds exactly the same...?

Unique

Post by Unique » Tue Mar 31, 2020 12:44 pm

The Mesa was used to drive #34 into feedback in the studio with a volume pedal. The sound of it was never heard on the album. It was a feedback generator Adam Day created in the studio for 'feedback on command' for all of the feedback parts you hear on the album. There's a PDF diagram of it online somewhere where you can down load it.